Can I use Dex.III inplace of Power Steering Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 1989 SAAB 9000CD Turbo for a great deal and I'm having a blast with it.
I changed the oil/Filter the third day I had it with Mobil 1 10W30 + 15W50. The trans fluid was crystal clear so I'm goin' down the list.
Next will be a GOOD cooling system flush and then a P/S fluid change.

Here is what SAAB reccommends:

Power steering fluid:
Saab Power Steering Fluid 1890, Texaco Power Steering Fluid 4634 (only available from Texaco in 25 litre containers), GM power steering fluid (Texaco TL 4634)
Haynes recommends "Saab or GM power steering fluid". I have also been told that any fluid from a GM dealer will do.

Can I just use Chevron Dexron III ATF or would that create a problem? I'll be honest, I don't even know the difference beetween P/S fluid and ATF
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Maclvr945:
Can I just use Chevron Dexron III ATF or would that create a problem? I'll be honest, I don't even know the difference between P/S fluid and ATF
dunno.gif

Power steering units are funny critters. Some are fussy about what you feed them and some don't care.

It's usually best to stick with the factory recomendations. Or ask a reputable oil company for their recommedation.

Do they say which GM spec fluid? There is more than one.

ATFs have different friction modifiers to make the clutches in ATs work. PS units don't need those friction modifiers, and although many PS units don't care, some don't like them.

The product spec sheet for Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid comprehensively lists vehicle power steering applications for this fluid as well as Type F and Dexron/Merc. "Saab 1979-93" comes up under the Pennz Power Steering Fluid column, but NOT under the Type F or Dex/Merc columns. I'd suggest using a name brand, broad-application "power steering fluid," rather than an ATF.
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/ancillary/power_steering.html

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
The product spec sheet for Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid comprehensively lists vehicle power steering applications for this fluid as well as Type F and Dexron/Merc. "Saab 1979-93" comes up under the Pennz Power Steering Fluid column, but NOT under the Type F or Dex/Merc columns. I'd suggest using a name brand, broad-application "power steering fluid," rather than an ATF.
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/ancillary/power_steering.html

that is a handy list, thanks for the link
smile.gif

GM's power steering fluid is very close to Dexron III, so you should be able to use it without causing a problem. I would lean toward Valvoline's Synpower steering fluid, but it's your choice.

I have heard that I can use a fluid that is comparatible with Texaco PSF 4634???

I'm probably going to cross my fingers and use Chevron Dex.III ATF.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back