Nissan (MTF) 75W-85 Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody confirm or verify if the Nissan HQ Multi 75W-85 manual transmission fluid is Castrol Syntorq LT? And is it GL-4? The part number is 999MP-MTF00P. If it is it can be had for one-half the cost of the GM Syntorq LT. I picked up 3 qts for $10.00 each at my local Nissan dealer. Seems dealers are putting GL-5 bulk gear oil in GL-4 applications all day long. I asked about GL-4 and they gave me a blank stare.

That is exactly why I do all my own work.

"Seems dealers are putting GL-5 bulk gear oil in GL-4 applications all day long. I asked about GL-4 and they gave me a blank stare"
This was also my experience when I went to the local Nissan dealer looking for GL-4 lube for the five speed transmission in my Nissan truck. The parts guy looked at me like I had two heads and said they they only use GL-5 oils in transmissions. I just left. I wonder if they get a lot of out-of-warranty transmission rebuild work????
Had to special order some expensive Red Line MT-90 as it was the ONLY GL-4 fluid I could find anywhere. I did NOT notice any performance inprovements with the Red Line oil.
Thnaks.

The Major oil companies have taken note of the need for a GL-4 specific gear oil .

Pennzoil makes one and Citgo does as well . I think both are syn blends .

Finding 15 cSt GL-4 specific is a real pain .

quote:

Originally posted by zmeli:

Seems dealers are putting GL-5 bulk gear oil in GL-4 applications all day long. I asked about GL-4 and they gave me a blank stare.

Yep it's happening at one dealership in my town as well with the plain 80w-90 GL5 being installed in cars under warranty needing GL-4 75w-90. Different car line though .

Until about a year ago some Kia Dealers were putting Dexron III in automatic Kia's calling for the Diamond SP type fluid when the owners brought them in for service .
nono.gif

I currently own a Sentra QR25DE Spec w/ 6speed. I'm running RP MaxGear 75w90 right now but I hate it, and will be going back to straight Redline MT-90.
MT-90 satisfies GL-4/5 specs, so does Royal Purple. The biggest difference you will notice is when it gets cold out. The shifting will improve significantly over the stock fluid. I can't see adding two different viscosities of gear oils and getting the protection your tranny requires. I wouldn't wander too far away from 75W-85. That's just my opinion.

luvs2, what don't you like about the Royal Purple?
confused.gif
I have the same driveline. I'm not entirely happy with the Red Line fluids in mine ... but they are better than stock when cold. I really think this tranny just isn't a great design.
frown.gif

But I guess I can rule out trying the RP.
dunno.gif

And until I learn more about the Pennzoil Syncromesh stuff, not gonna bother with it, either.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

I can't see adding two different viscosities of gear oils and getting the protection your tranny requires.

Can't speak for RP's add package, but with Redline's gear oils, you get the same GL4 EP (addpack) protection in both MT90 and MTL. In Nissan's that require the 75W85 stuff, the 50/50 mix seems to adjust the viscosity for cold weather shifting.

does anyone know who makes nissan mtf? i just put some in my y21 honda transmission (b16a civic)and after a week of driving around with it, i'd have to say im impressed. no grinding issues at all. ive also had experiences with gm syncromesh #12346190 and honda mtf. my thrid gear synchro has always been a problem. it grinds no matter what when shifting from second at high rpms.

honda mtf- $4/quart, notchy especially when cold, gears grinded after a long run on the freeway and when cold , very poor shear stability, changed at every oil change.

gm syncromesh- $11.50/quart plus shipping, very smooth all the time never notchy, ocasionally experienced a few grinds during normal operation, sometimes fifth gear would grind, after a long run on the freeway the gears would grind if i didnt rev match properly.

nissan mtf- $9.99/quart, notchy all the time but not as bad as honda mtf when cold, gears rarely grind even after long runs on the freeway, fifth gear never grinds anymore.

what are your opinions on nissan mtf? there isn't much info on this site about it.

Well i've tried a few things in my Spec's Transy.

Stock, Syncromax, and now im going to move up to Speciality Forumlations.

But first im going to RX my transmission with SF, then dump that, and put in SF again. That way its a clean slate. I post on www.b15sentra.net and im gonna post a COMPELTE review, with pictures. Also i'll post a review here.

It is a balanced formulation using a DI additive package with various Groups of base oils and of various viscosities.

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm or verify if the Nissan HQ Multi 75W-85 manual transmission fluid is Castrol Syntorq LT? And is it GL-4? The part number is 999MP-MTF00P. If it is it can be had for one-half the cost of the GM Syntorq LT. I picked up 3 qts for $10.00 each at my local Nissan dealer. Seems dealers are putting GL-5 bulk gear oil in GL-4 applications all day long. I asked about GL-4 and they gave me a blank stare.

Nissan HQ multi is actually Total Taxgear 6 75w-85. That is in good price. In my opinion Total is medium class brand. Nothing special. Eneos is way better in engine oils thanks to additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back