do i need to add LSD additive to Royal Purple 75w140?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the particular use is in a bmw 4.10 LSD rear end, that calls for castrol SAF-XLS 140 fluid. i don't know anything about royal purple, as i usually use mobil 1 product. thanks in advance.

I didn't have to add LSD additive to RP 75w90 for my two GM 8.5 10 bolts with eaton posi units.......so you are probably OK.
dunno.gif

I added it to a F-250 Ford with LS and I did not have to add any additive. I have over 6K on it now. I used the 75W140 Royal Purple.

smile.gif

I remember someone here used a gear oil (I thought it was Royal Purple, maybe something else) which was supposedly rated for LSD ... but they ended up having to use an additive as well to get their LSD to work right.

My advice? Use the gear oil ... but know ahead of time where you can get a 4oz. bottle of the additive in case you need it. The different diff designs are a bit picky. What will satisfy some won't satisfy another.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

My advice? Use the gear oil ... but know ahead of time where you can get a 4oz. bottle of the additive in case you need it. The different diff designs are a bit picky. What will satisfy some won't satisfy another.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace [/qb]

Bror Jace---Your last paragraph is so true and factual. Thanks for a super post.

worshippy.gif

This is my first time posting here but about drivetrain I am not a newbie. It really depends on what kind of locker you got. Trac-lok differential has clutch packs that requires you to run the addtives. However if you got Detroit Truetrac or similar that doesn't have clutch-pack that you won't need it.

Tangent Reply:

I did not have to add it to my redline 75W60 GL5 LS in my diff.

I was greatly reluctant not you the additive but so far not a hint if chatter
smile.gif

My expectation is that RP should be just as good stuff, but if it chatters add the LS bottle stuff.

Using the friction modifier will *NOT* hurt to add to your differential.

RP says you don't need it, but for a few bucks more it seems a lot easier to add it and be on the safe side.

just wanted to check back in. i was so disheartened at the noise that i thought the differential was making that I dumped the bottle of trans-x LSD stuff in without considering doing it afterward. the noise actually got WORSE on the 75w140/LSD add. it turns out that the tires on the drive axle were out of round, and solely the cause of the sound. i had put mobil 1 in a week earlier 75-90, and was beginning to hear a different sound when making low speed turns (which was probably it complaining for a tube of additive). the only noise from back there now is the sound of my exhaust leak .
cool.gif
thanks everyone.

quote:

Originally posted by ryan-e34:
just wanted to check back in. i was so disheartened at the noise that i thought the differential was making that I dumped the bottle of trans-x LSD stuff in without considering doing it afterward. the noise actually got WORSE on the 75w140/LSD add. it turns out that the tires on the drive axle were out of round, and solely the cause of the sound. i had put mobil 1 in a week earlier 75-90, and was beginning to hear a different sound when making low speed turns (which was probably it complaining for a tube of additive). the only noise from back there now is the sound of my exhaust leak .
cool.gif
thanks everyone.

What do you have in the rear diff now 75W90 or 75W140?

Randy's Ring & Pinion says, "With regards to limited slip additives, I have found that using too much additive can lead to premature gear wear. Use just enough to keep the limited slip from chattering but not more than 4 oz for every 2 qts of oil."
http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=122

Most differential gear oils on the market already have all the limited slip additive needed. Try without adding more. If you have chatter after a run-in period, add a small amount of LSD additive at a time just until the chatter is gone.

Ken

If you order our HDS-5 in 75W90 or 75W140 and you need extra LS additive, we ship 4 oz. of LSD additive free.

We already have LS add in our gear lubes unless someone requests NO LS additive.

I too agree with Randy's Rack and Pinion. Too much of any additive is not necessarily a good thing. Use only enough to eliminate chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back