Allison questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first Allison Transmission equipped truck, a 2003 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1. I have a few questions about servicing the Allison.
How much fluid do you get out (and have to replace) by just draining the pan with the drain plug only?
Is the transynd fluid that Allison recommends compatitble with the factory OE fill?
Any other info would be appreciated. I'll change the spin on filter at the same time.
Thanks!

I have an 8.1 with the Allison. I have yet to drain the tranny but I do believe Transynd is what the factory fill is. Amsoil also makes a replacement for this oil. The factory oil was designed for extended drains so for now I am just going to change my spin on filter and top up the oil.

Yes, Castrol Transynd is "Compatible with most other automotive transmission fluids and seals." I wouldn't use a part fill of conventional Dexron ATF and part Transynd...I'd go all Transynd or all synthetic Dexron ATF.
http://www.castrolhdl.com/Common/PDS/TranSynd-PDS.pdf

Transynd, by the way, is rated as a Dexron-III ATF, so it should be good for any transmission calling for Dexron-III.

I wouldn't assume that GM would install high-cost Transynd unless they specifically say so--most likely they use conventional Dexron-III in the Allison transmission. In most cases, GM's car & truck assembly motto is Cheap-R-Us.

Ken

Here's some good info on your Allison - this references the medium truck version rather than the pickup but they are the same except for the converter housing and the output flange.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=MT3190EN.pdf

TranSynd and dino Dex IIIs are completely compatible. The pickups use Petro-Canada dino Dex III as factory fill. Most truck OEMs use TranSynd and the truck units are tested and shipped with TranSynd. I would suggest that you use an OEM spin-on filter, this has a very stout external can which is required because it sees more pressure than the typical engine oil filter.
Some of the replacements are thin wall.

with the stock pan I think it was arround 12qts, deep pan is 15, pan drop and internal filter change is pushing 17qt's, been a wiel and I cant find a cheet sheet with the part #'s and fill quanity's

get the deeper pan and filter from an allison dealer unless you off road it a lot and need the clearance, the deep pan filter is a real filter instead of a plastic screen, I guess with the external filter it is not as important, the pan seal is rubber clad meatl and quite reuseable, dont bother getting a new one

I used transynd for two OCI's it always lost a noticeable loss of power when I put it in and slowly got it back over time, went to M1 and got a deffinate improvemnt in shift feel and no loss of power

in 01 the factory fill was regular GM dino DIII, I dotn see why that would change

if you get cold start knock lemon law that thing ASAP and get a Dmax, I wish I had. dont let thme talk you into "its normal" crap, I am now stuck with a truck that will not sell becuase it sounds like it is about to come apart
mad.gif

[ July 02, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

The deep pan filter and the shallow pan filter are exactly the same media size and type. Only the geometry of the tube changes to match the pan depth.

quote:

Originally posted by RavenTai:

I used transynd for two OCI's it always lost a noticeable loss of power when I put it in and slowly got it back over time, went to M1 and got a deffinate improvemnt in shift feel and no loss of power

Got any 0-60, 1/4 mile, or G-Tech data to back up your claims?

quote:

Originally posted by nascarnation:
The deep pan filter and the shallow pan filter are exactly the same media size and type. Only the geometry of the tube changes to match the pan depth.

the filter that came out of my 01' and the filter I put in from the Allison distributor had diffrent media, and diffrent build, now I wish I had taken some pictures

quote:

quote:

No, only seat of the pants, if it is noticeable by feel it is a large diffrence, I know what I felt it is up to you to trust my judgement or not

quote:

quote:

No, only seat of the pants, if it is noticeable by feel it is a large diffrence, I know what I felt it is up to you to trust my judgement or not [/QB][/QUOTE]
As the sign over my desk reads:
In God we trust.
All others bring data.

quote:

Not to be nitpicky, but how would a hydraulic fluid cause loss in power unless it was the wrong (too high) viscosity and you were driving in really cold weather?

Most ATF's are 7.5 cSt so can't see how a thin fluid transmitting power could cause a loss in power transmission.

Here is the info on Amsoil's copy of Allison/Castrol Torque drive.

Amsoil ATD

I know I'd stay with the highest quality factory recommended type fluid had I spent that much ona truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back