Manual Transmission Oil for '94 Toyota Tercel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am going to guess that Toyota want you to use either a GL4 or GL5 70W90 Gearlube. If it has to be available at Autozone or Walmart I would say M1 or Costal Synthetic.

As far as non-synthetics go I have used Castrol,Havoline,Valvoline,Walmart Brand, Bulk pail from Sam's club and never felt a difference in shift quality or performance in the rear end on Toyota trucks!

Seeing how you have no intensions of changeing it ever again I would definately spring for the synthetic gear lube!

My '94 tercel has 76,600 miles and never had a manual trans oil change. Its going to get its first and only trans oil change this summer. Its probably got dino now, but Ill spring for synthetic since Im only going to do this once and drive this puppy into the ground. I just dont drive enough to get it up to 200K in the next 10 years. Ive heard that its unnecessary (not possible) to drop the pan and there is no filter in a manual. So what weight and type of trans oil should I get? I want something I can get at Autozone or Walmart.
Thanks!

Well I looked over the owners manual last night and it only talked about ATF and clutch fluid, which I presume is more like brake fluid. On the tercel forum a guy suggested Red Line MT-90.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Well, I am going to guess that Toyota want you to use either a GL4 or GL5 75W90 Gearlube. If it has to be available at Autozone or Walmart I would say M1 or Costal Synthetic.

I found it in the manual finally. Its specs exactly what you said, 2.4 quarts of 75W90, GL4 or GL5. I think I will get dino and run that for a few thousand miles then dump it and put the final fill of Mobil 1. I have a few ounces of Auto-Rx that I didnt need to pour in the 3 quart engine. I wonder if it will do any good in the tranny? It still shifts like new after 76K miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back