2004 Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF now has about 10k miles on her new 2004 Wrangler Sport. It has the 4.0 six, 5 speed. I want to change everything to synthetic and would like to know what everyone thinks is best in the transfer case and manual transmission.

BTW have been running S2k 0w30 with the biggest oversize filter since 5k miles
grin.gif

[ May 11, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: 1maniac ]

I'm starting to come to the conclusion after my little "tenure" here that in regards to using very good synthetics throughout a vehicle (chassis lubes, engine (in gas engine applications), transmission, rearend, etc...), be it Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, etc, etc.

Sure, one might deliver a little better wear numbers than another, but the vehicle is gonna rot out from underneath you before the small difference in wear numbers become the decisive factor in vehicle failure.

Since you're already using Amsoil, just stick with it and order up some stuff for the rest of the Jeep.

[ May 11, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I have a '03 Wrangler. I use mobil1 75-140 in the diffs,Mobil1 syn ATF in the transfer case.Nobody makes IMHO a substitute for the auto trans ATF+4.

The diff fluids get changed so frequently in a Jeep Wrangler that synthetic fluids can be a waste of money.
The NVG3550 trans will run fine on Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid, the cheapest of the proper available fluids.
The NVG231J transfer will work just fine on any quality Mercon/DexronIII ATF.
Power steering and Automatic trans MUST use ATF+4 which is expensive and hard to find.
Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
The diff fluids get changed so frequently in a Jeep Wrangler that synthetic fluids can be a waste of money.

rolleyes.gif
One of the reasons to use synthetic is because you DON'T have to change it as often. I just filled my Jeep's diffs with Amsoil. It's only a couple quarts every 50,000 miles or so, I don't see how that could possibly be a waste of money. It will more than pay for itself in gas.

First off, before you spend anymore money on your GF's new Jeep, does she let you drive it and play in the mud with it
grin.gif
. J/K! What are the fluid requirements for the transfer case and manual tranny. Is it ATF, gear fluid, or some "special" Jeep only required fluid. I have a Ford truck and it requires ATF for the manual tranny and transfer case. I used Schaeffer's #204S, a semi-synthetic, Dexron/Mercon ATF and I'm pleased with results. Made a BIG difference this past winter. Also, the general shifting feel of the tranny is better. However, since you are using Amsoil motor oil and seemed pleased I'd look at what they have to fit your requirements. Also Redline seems to make tranny and other gear oils that prove popular with BITOG users. I hope that Jeep get's dirty once in a while
wink.gif

Whimsey

You should have a NV3550 for the 5 speed. Not sure on that one. I assume hypoid GL-5 works. Your t-case should be a NV231 ..ATF. I use Mobil 1 ATF and Mobil 1 gear oil in the diffs. My AX15 requires GL-3
frown.gif

The main drag on any TJ is the lack of locking hubs. Spinning that diff and drive shaft is more than you can appreciate. I threw on the Warn hub kit and couldn't be happier.

It is not cheap ..about a grand by the time I was done.

The NV3550 requires Synchromesh (it is not GL rated)... I use RedLine MTL(so far it works fine, 2K miles, its GL4 rated). I would not use a GL5 fluid.

For the T-case I use Amsoil ATF - works much bettter than ATF+4 (and its much cheaper). You can shift in to and out of 4H, 4L much easier.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
rolleyes.gif
One of the reasons to use synthetic is because you DON'T have to change it as often. [/QB]

If the Jeep does Jeep things, like get submerged in water and mud, this may not be the case.
smile.gif

"If the Jeep does Jeep things, like get submerged in water and mud, this may not be the case."

True, but most buyers of Jeeps and SUVs buy them more for image than utility.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, the gear oil issue is a lot like the motor oil issue in that if you change the fluid often enough, brand/type doesn't matter ... unless you have a limited slip diff.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

She likes it because it's "cute.
rolleyes.gif
" I like it because I get to test the Jeep "trail rated" motto
grin.gif
. I put Amsoil S2k 75-90 in the front and rear diffs. I'm waiting on the Service Manual to determine which tranny I have as Redline reccomends either MT or MT90 depending on the tranny. Of course Amsoil ATF in the T-case.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back