Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Transfer Case Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the fluid recommendations for my car (keep in mind the 3000GT VR4s are AWD:

Recommended lubricants (from the service manuals)
Manual transaxle and transfer case:
Hypoid Gear Oil, SAE 75W-90 or 75W-85W conforming to API classification GL-4

Rear differential:
Hypoid Gear Oil API classification GL-5 or higher
Above -23ºC (-10ºF) SAE 90, 85W-90, 80W-90
From -34ºC (-30ºF) to -23ºC (-10ºF) SAE 80W, 80W-90
Below -34ºC (-30ºF) SAE 75W

Lubricant capacities (from the service manuals)
Manual transaxle [to bottom of filler hole]:
FWD: 2.3 L (2.4 qts)
AWD: 2.4 L (2.5 qts)

Transfer case:
5-speed: 0.27 L (0.29 qts) [1991-1992: 0.43-0.51 inch (11-13 mm) below the filler hole; 1993+: to bottom of filler hole]
6-speed: 0.30 L (0.32 qts) [to bottom of filler hole]

Rear differential [to bottom of filler hole]:
1.1 L (1.16 qts)

Alot of members of 3Si.org have been using Redline Shockproof heavy in our transfer cases. Since the transfer cases on these car usually see high amounts of load, I think this is a pretty good idea. The 3Si members have been doing this for a while without any problems. What does everyone think about this? I am currently using Redline MT-90 in my transfer case. Here are some pics of the trannies/transfer cases on the AWD 3000GT's/Stealth's for reference:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-awd2.htm

Well, My first choice would be a 50/50 mix or MT90/MTL for the GL4 requirement. For the rear diff I would select the weight you want from redlines list of gear lubes.

My second choice would be Royal Purple MaxGear. It is GL4 and GL5 complaint. It is an excellent product but it is not as good as Redlines more specilised products. I like the MaxGear over anything other then Redline.

The real plus to MaxGear is that it is a universal type of product so you only need one product to take care of your GL4 and GL5 needs.

The advantage to redline is that the products are more specialized and hence custom taylored to one specific application not multi purpose. This is also a down side though as you then need to stock more products.

I've got a Mazda 323GTX, 4wd, turbo..

Don't use MTL or MT-90 in the transfer case.
My t/c has 90* gears and it looks like yours does too.
Use a GL5 gear oil...
then the same stuff in the diff.

Live somewhere cold? try MTL or MT-90, fwiw, i think MTL is a little thin, and only use MT-90

75W90NS if you want more protection or live in 100* heat.

I haven't tried the BG synchroshift. RRE likes it for the Eclipse trannies.
I notice they sell it at pepboys now?
Anyone know if this stuff is better than MT-90 or MTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back