1997 Rav4 Transaxle fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,
I changed out the tranny fluid on the wife's RAV4 yesterday. Once you take the splash shields off, it's quite easy to get to everything and the job went easily.

My only concern was that the fluid was quite dark as it came out. I know it was a bit overdue as we just bought the vehicle and I have a list of things to attend to...but ick. From the manual, it looks like the PO changed the fluid at 35k, now with 78k on it...I guess it was really due. In any case, I put RedLine 75w90NS in there and now it shifts like butter...almost as good as the Hondas. I think I'll change this fluid out early for the next change, just to make sure everything stays healthy...

Bogatyr

TR3-2001SE,
If memory serves, 30 or 35k is the specified interval. Yep, it's the manual tranny. I just realized I'll have to check the owner's manual again. I know the rear diff fluid was changed at 35k...but now that I think about it, the tranny fluid might not have been changed...
gr_eek2.gif
Well, that's the thing with used vehicles, you always have to clean up other people's messes. At least this kind of stuff is easy and inexpensive to do. Still have to change out the brake fluid and PS fluid...we just had the timing belt changed so the coolant was changed concurrent with that...

On another tack, since we've put synth fluids in the tranny and rear diff, the mileage has gone up. My wife just got over 30mpg for the first time in the RAV...cool deal.

Bogatyr

Cool deal Bogatyr!
cheers.gif

Karen at work who's Civic was totalled by some loser coming out of an alley in a van just bought a 2004 CR-V last night.

Automatic tranny, though.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back