redline MT-90 & MTL mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

From my own experiences with 5-speeds, the MTL was was still too notchy, but using the 50/50 mix, it smoothed out with no notchiness.

I should have added that with straight MT90, the shift time was delayed and the shift felt very draggy, hence the mix. But with the mix, no drag, no notchiness.

From the above post from Redline, they never explicitly said you couldn't use the blend, they were simply trying to match the required viscosities between their fluids and yours.

As I stated before , both fluids have the same EP/AW add package but differring viscosities so your gearing and bearings should have good wear protection. Since they use the same base fluids, mixing is not really rocket science.

Try the MT90 straight-up and see what happens. If you experience too much shifting drag, then you might want to thin it with MTL.

tooslick, molakule

thanks. I'll try the mt90 and see how it goes. I guess the amsoil 2000 75/90 is gonna see duty in the acura's differential.

Berge,

Most Toyotas call for a 75w-90, petroleum gear lube ....Using a 75w-90 synthetic will lower your fluid temps quite a bit in hot weather; compared to the factory fill. Using the SAE, 70w-80 MTL should lower the fluid temps even more, due to reduced friction and better heat transfer.

The point I'm trying to make is that MTL should provide roughly the same oil film thickness as a 85wt or 90wt petroleum lube in hot weather, while providing vastly better cold temp shifting.

I have a 1995, 5 speed Tacoma and was considering going with the straight MTL due to these considerations. I know several folks who have run MTL in newer VW transaxles for extended periods with no problem, instead of the 75w-90, GL-4 rated synthetic called for by VW.

TS

tooslick
everything your saying makes perfect sense but I'm going to exercise my constitutional right to be a chicken**** and just go with the mt90.

If it still feels lousy in when cold I will try 'the mix'.

thank you for the advice tooslick and everyone else, I appreciate it.
cheers.gif

FWIW, I'd say the lower limit to get good shifting with ANY 75w-90 synthetic gear lube is about -15C/+5F or so.

The real test is the 1st to 2nd upshift, with a completely cold soaked, transmission/transaxle.

just put in mt-90.

warm shifting there is a night and day difference.

cold shifting does seem better but it's still not like a honda.

will report on cold morning shifts tomorrow.

curiously, the factory manual lists 2L fill and we put in about 2.4L with car level.

toyota must think most lube places put the drain plug back on way too early because the engine fill with filter is listed at 3.7L and we put in almost a whole jug of M1(4.4L)

[ February 11, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: berge ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
FWIW, I'd say the lower limit to get good shifting with ANY 75w-90 synthetic gear lube is about -15C/+5F or so.

The real test is the 1st to 2nd upshift, with a completely cold soaked, transmission/transaxle.

what does 'FWIW' mean?

I see I have some catching up to do on this thread …

MolaKule was correct when he theorized earlier that I wanted something thicker than MTL but not quite as thick as MT-90. That’s why I mixed the two …. but leaned towards the heavier of the two oils.

Bottom line is I’m not really that happy with it. Cold shifting is improved but shifting while warm gives me some initial “sharp feeling” clash ... which can’t be good.
frown.gif

Like I said before, I don’t know if this is the tranny or the oil, but I am suspecting the former. The earlier 6-speeds for this car were very trouble prone. The ‘03s were a vast improvement … but I suspect they are still lacking in refinement and no oil is going to make this thing shift really smoothly.

I saved 2 quarts of the OEM oil (capacity is around 3) and I may pour it back in this spring. I was planning on doing a UOA on this tranny oil in the fall but I may not leave it in that long. Maybe add back in the OEM oil and make up the difference with the (used) Red Line … or am I just making a big mess?
freak2.gif
The OEM oil actually felt better once the tranny warmed up ... I think. It was many months ago and it’s hard to remember and try to do a side-to-side comparison in your head.
tongue.gif

If I recycle (some of) the old oil, I’ll switch to something else in the fall before cold weather sets in again. Changing tranny oil isn’t that big a deal for me and the amounts aren’t too much, either.

MolaKule, you recommended a mix of MT-90 and one of the Red Line ATFs a while back. Remember the thread? I searched for it but could not find it. That’s the problem with too many small threads on the same subject.
mad.gif

Anyway, I feel this particular 6-speed may be a different beast, entirely. So, I’m thinking of trying something completely different. Maybe Amsoil? Maybe something else? Maybe Castrol Syntorq 75W85 … which might just be the OEM oil.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Redline's Synthetic High Temp ATF (Dexron III and is also rated as a GL4) is a 10 cSt oil as well. However, this ATF does not have the same EP/AW add pack as does the MTL, so I wouldn't recommend this except under the most extreme circumstances.

I've had the MT-90 for 2 days now, and, while it's definitely better all around than the factory fill, it still doesn't shift like a honda.

oh well.

Which is why Bror and I recommended the mix.

I have found that most factory speced viscosites are a bit too high for decent shifting.

[ February 12, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I told ya so ...
rolleyes.gif

I'd use the 50/50 mix or straight MTL ....

I'd have the transmission fluid analyzed after the end of next summer and see if the iron/copper/tin levels are acceptable. If they are, your cold shifting problems are solved.

something strange happened.
I haven't been able to pick up the MTL yet, and, for some odd reason, the car has somehow started shifting MUCH smoother, including when dead cold.
It now feels comparable to my Honda's.
This is in the space of 2-3 days. The temperature and my driving habits haven't changed.
What happened?
(It's not in my head, two friends 100% agree the car is shifting beautifully-compared to when MT-90 was first put in.)

I find it takes most gearlubes anywhere from 150 to 500 miles before the current addpack starts to activate. It takes a number of pressure and temperature cycles to get the S-P-Z and FM adds into the bearings, gear teeth, and synchronizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back