Amsoil ATF vs. GM ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll feel better about yourself (superior to those around you who have settled for "mere" Dexron III), and if your transmission operates too close to the sun or catches fire, the Amsoil will protect it a little longer due to superior synthetic properties.

Seriously, I don't think anyone has any real evidence that pure syn ATF makes a difference for normal driving that is not likely to stress the ATF out from a temp standpoint. My theory is that the fluid is not the culprit in transmission failure (if you follow a reasonable maint. schedule) - abuse and poor design are. If you do a lot of towing in hot weather, synth ATF could be a real benefit for you since that is the service that beats up ATF.

Amsoil touts long drains for their ATF, but so does GM for their regular fluids...I figure as long as you operate the fluid at the correct temps and change it per their recommendations you'll be OK either way.

quote:

Service life of the AMSOIL ATF is 3 times that of the GM ATF

Amsoil "claims" that their ATF last 3X as long. GM "claims" their ATF is good for 100K in my car unless you really flog it.

You can't have it both ways - if you believe Amsoil's claim then you need to believe GM's, since both claims have the same level of documented proof (none). If you think you're going to go 300,000 miles on one fill of ATF in your tranny, then the Amsoil is a good pick. Otherwise, it's all just "feeling better" for 3X the price or more...

I reserve the right to change my opinion in the face of convincing automotive longevity data...

IF you are going longer then 30,000 miles on your trany fluid you are asking for trouble. I do not care who makes it! The extended drain performance means nothing to me. What gets my attention is the greater amount of heat that the synthetics will take before I have to worry about varnish. The cleanliness of synthetics is what sells me. Most trany problems are caused by varnish build up and hardened seals. If you do not plan on keeping the vechile past 100,000 miles at least try to change it at the 50,000 mile mark.

You can look at it this way-- GM recently upgraded the specs for their Dexron III.
AMSOIL did not have to reformulate.
That might give you some hint.
Service life of the AMSOIL ATF is 3 times that of the GM ATF.

I have a 2000 Buick Regal. Severe service interval for the fluid is 50,000 miles and normal is 100,000. Unfortunately the pan does not have a plug. However, I have done a syphon and refill twice now, at 29,000 and 50,000 getting about half of the OEM out and replacing with Amsoil. As expected, no change in performance but I have had good luck with Amsoil ATF in my Camry (now 161,000 on the transmission with the same protocol so hoping for the best. Now, would I even go 100,000 on Amsoil, no way, woudl I go 50,000 on Amsoil, doubt that also. 30,000 is about my limit. Although over the years I have yet to see the Amsoil ATF ever smell burnt or even change from the red color.

I always drove GM suburbans at work (DOT Surveyor), 3/4 ton, some 2x4 and last ones were 4x4's. We kept them for at least 100,000 miles, last one a 1999 just went to auction in Oct '03 with 120,+++. In the 30 yrs never once changed any ATF. Never once lost a trans in a GM truck either. These trucks were in severe service, the idled all the time, towed equipments trailers, mobile office trailer and arrow boards all over the state.

One a side note, we had a 1993 Ford 150 4x4 and all it ever towed was a 1 ton arrow board/equipment trailer, first trans went out at around 45,000 miles and the second (Ford Reman) blew up around 90,000 miles. We had 2 Fords in the 90's, both lost the trans, we also had 3 Dudges in that time span and all 3 lost the trannies, not any GM had a trans go in the same time span. Matter of fact, in our region in 2002, of the 200 or so Dudge trucks ranging from 1996 to 2001 models in service, over have of them were on the 2nd transmission! It was a big joke and some guys wanted to start a pool to see who Dudge PU would be the next to lose the trans as it seemed that would fail without any warnings.

And if you are thinking we should have changed the fluid in the Dudge and Ford. No way would the bean counters let that happen. They were leased vehicles and all the maintenance was controlled buy the leasing company. No preventive maintenance except for a oil change and safety inspection every 5000 miles. A few years back the vehicle fleet cost were around 45 million $, so they would rather lose a vehicle that change ATF fluid on 20,000 of them. Each unit had a magic number for maintenance costs and if it hit that number before the 100,000 mile lease, it was replaced and sent to auction. One of the Dudges, a 1994 was yanked out of service at 74,000 miles in 1998 for "frequent and severe maintenance trends".

[ January 02, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I think the key is how you use your vehicle. Synthetic transmission fluid will handle heat better. I am going to switch to schaeffer's since I tow a TT. I am not going to go longer than 30,000 miles between changes though.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back