Transmission fluid for World Class T-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
bulabula,

Welcome!

welcome.gif

Try the Redline MT90/MTL in a 50/50 mix. The MT90 seems to have happy friction coefficient, and the MTL will thin it a bit.

[ December 15, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

welcome.gif

I have a 2002 Ford truck with the Mazda 5 speed manual tranny. I know it's different than your tranny but maybe this helps. I also had some crunching if shifting rapidly or "enthusiastically" with the factory ATF Mercon fill. I swapped that out for Schaeffer's #204S Dexron III Supreme syn blend ATF and noticed an immense improvement after 100+ miles of usage. While a better ATF is not a cure all it sure can help with shifting quality.

Whimsey

My first post. What a great site, I learned it from the Diesel Truck Resource. This isn’t about my Dodge Ram, but for my 5.0 Mustang with 5 speed tranny.

Transmission shifts fine, but I feel its time for some new fluid. Been thinking about trying some MTL this time.

The factory calls for Mercon Dextron ATF. Car now has about 128k on it. Being a fan about syn oil, I tried M1 ATF in about 60k ago. I ran it for a couple of weeks, but the tranny ground going into 5th at high speeds. So I dumped it and put in some old fashioned dino ATF and grind went away. Not being satisfied with regular ATF, I tried some Redline ATF D4; it also ground going into 5th. So I dumped it and reverted back to regular ATF and no grind. I always attributed the grind to the syn ATF being too slippery for the synchro’s.

I am normally a creature of habit, and subscribe to the theory of if something works why change. I would like to try MTL or something else, but due to spending way too much time underneath the car changing transmission fluid the last time I don’t want to do that again.

Any ideas?

Chris

Thanks for the info. I don't really have any shifting problems with running dino ATF.

I'm wondering if there is a suitable Amsoil product to use? I'm going to be buying a few gallons of Amsoil shortly and it won't hurt to throw in 3 extra quarts into the boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back