flush gone bad in 4l60e

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I desided to flush my trans. and change filter. It's a 97 GMC with 80000 miles on factory filter. I disconnected the radiator line and pumped out fluid until flow began to slow. then I dropped pan and changed filter. After this, I added back seven quarts and flushed till I got BRIGHT red fluid out. I then added back three quarts and ran through all gears. When i went to check level it was almost 3/4" over full mark! I got really scared and decided to empty pan again. Luck had it I welded a plug in while i had it off. I let the pan drain and added five quarts back. This is what my Hanes book said was required for a pan drop. Now my level is still over full mark even after draining an additional quart. Please help!!!! Also, how in the world are you supposed to get a good reading off the dipstick when it does 60000 bends to get to the pan? I really suck at this.
frown.gif
pat.gif

With a drain and fill, IMO, you cannot really go by the manual. Even if I do a drain and fill on the same car I get different amounts of ATF out. That is why I actually measure what came out and place the same amount back in. remember, it needs to be checked when hot (at least 10 miles of driving) with the engine running.

All I had was an old dirty bucket to drain into. Also I sprayed the engine down cause I put my hose on the wrong end of the system! I never really measured how much came out. I pumped 12 quarts through the system total counting what's in there now. I let it sit overnight to try and get a good reading and I was still above the full hot mark. I drained 1quart out and tried to get a reading with no luck. If it helps I have a z71 with the front torsion bars cranked about 1.5" high. Could this be throwing my readings off? I drove around for about 15 min to make sure trans and motor were hot before getting final reading.

[ December 15, 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: steeltoe ]

Your checking the fluid with the vehicle running and in park. If it is too high(hot fluid after 30+minutes of driving), drain more.

Never just blindly dump 5 quarts into a pan. OVERFILLING is one of the biggest mistake(besides leaving something disconnected) for backyard doityourselfers.

You should pull the plug completely(with hot tranny) and drain everything. The tranny should have no problem running in park with only 2 quarts in the pan. So, add 2 quarts new ATF and then top off tranny(with vehicle running/in park) in PINT intervals until the dipstick reads low by a pint(since it is cold). If you're worried about the 1.5" lift, park the back tires on garden bricks or phone books. Then, drive the vehicle until new ATF is fully warmed up and ATF if hot to touch. Check level. Hot fluid should expand enough to bring running level to the full mark.

My information says the 4L60E trans takes 11 qts for total refill.

With the engine automatic transmission operating temp, shift transmission through all gears. Let engine slow idle in PARK for at least 3 minutes. Check fluid level and add fluid as needed.
Do not overfill.

To reduce fluid level just remove or loosen the top atf line at radiator and bleed off what you need to.

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS. I KNOW I'M A DUMMY FOR NOT MEASURING WHAT I DRAINED.
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
BUT HEY, AT LEAST I'M TRYING. I'LL DRAIN PAN AND GO BY UNDUMMY'S ADVICE AND ADD PINTS NOT QUARTS AT A TIME. BY THE WAY, I USED MAXLIFE ATF BECAUSE THAT'S ALL THEY HAD IN A CASE. DO YALL THINK THAT WILL BE OK TO LEAVE IN THERE OR SHOULD I CHANGE OUT SINCE I'M GONNA DRAIN ANYWAY? THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS WILL BE APPRICIATED.

Don't feel bad, at least your tranny worked after your flush (I had to reset the tranny control unit by the dealer after mine).

You are doing the right thing. It is all a learning experience. Your tranny will reward you with a long life.

FYI, there is no harm in slightly overfilling a tranny. 0.75 qt over is okay, especially for the 4l60e. I absolutely wouldn't run with it several quarts over filled as fires have been caused by the excess fluid blowing out of the fill tube. keep in mind this isn't brain surgery.

ONLY PROBLEM THERE IS THE WAY MY DIP STICK IS MADE IT HAS A LOCK AND PLUG ON THE END TO KEEP EXCESS FROM BLOWING OUT. ALSO SAW THAT MY DRAIN PLUG IS LEAKING! ORDERED A NEW STYLE PAN THAT HAS A PLUG BUILT IN AND ALSO HOLDS AN ADDITIONAL QUART. THAT SHOULD ALSO HELP IT TO STAY COOLER.
smile.gif
ANY THOUGHTS ON THE MAXLIFE ATF? I DON'T SEE MANY POSTS ON IT. I WAS KINDA LEARY ABOUT USING IT, BUT THAT WAS ALL THEY HAD A LOT OF.

Hi Steeltoe

I own a 99 GMC Safari with the same 4l60e.

Where did you get your replacement pan?

I pull a trailer in the summer and would like to replace mine with a bigger pan and the drain plug is a nice touch too.

Steve

Good luck with the Maxlife. Give us an opinion on it after several thousand miles.

The added capacity of a new pan should add to the life of the ATF which leads to a longer lasting transmission.

Some people don't like Valvoline around here. Just make sure you exercise that new drainplug on a regular basis.

sorry that web address was wrong. the correct site is www.partshp.com my bad.
I'll let ya know how the maxlife works if I keep it in there long enough.
wink.gif
I might try and save up enough money to drop some synthetic in there. Do it like Johnny would; one quart at the time
grin.gif

I do change the ATF the same way in all of my cars, except I make sure to have the right line off and the hose affixed to the bucket.
wink.gif

What you need to do is get a cheap bucket with quart marks on the inside. Pump all the fluid in there until it sputters and then drop the pan. Empty the rest of the pan also into the bucket. You will be amazed how accurate these marks actually are.

When I pumped my Corvette 4L60E out into one of these, I got almost 7 qts. out before the pump sucked air and the fluid started sputtering. Emptying the pan made it an even 7 qts.

After the filter change, cleaning and reinstalling the tranny pan, I added 7 qts. back into the tranny. Then I pumped an additional 6 qts. into the pail to flush tranny and converter. The bucket was now full with 13 qts. The oil coming out of the line at the end of this "6 qt. flush" was absolutely fresh ATF.

I added the additional 6 qts. back to the tranny and the oil level was in the lower part of the normal range (difference was probably the fluid that was trapped in the Dacron filter).

After adding another pint the ATF level is perfect. So with 13 qts. I did a total fluid exchange with probably less than 2% of the old fluid mixing with the fresh M1 ATF and I never looked back.

One of the things I do...when I know the ATF is at the correct level when hot. I let it cool...until the next morning and scribe a line on the diptick showing the cool, engine not running level. This gives me good place to start when I do drain and fills and check the ATF. I will always recheck after running and hot, but it gives me one known point of reference.

DEWFPO

THANKS DEWFPO, THE SCRIBE LINE IDEA IS VERY GOOD. THAT WAY YOU KNOW FOR SHURE YOU ARE AT THE CORRECT LEVEL, NOT JUST "FACTORY" LEVEL.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I do change the ATF the same way in all of my cars, except I make sure to have the right line off and the hose affixed to the bucket.
wink.gif

What you need to do is get a cheap bucket with quart marks on the inside. Pump all the fluid in there until it sputters and then drop the pan. Empty the rest of the pan also into the bucket. You will be amazed how accurate these marks actually are.

When I pumped my Corvette 4L60E out into one of these, I got almost 7 qts. out before the pump sucked air and the fluid started sputtering. Emptying the pan made it an even 7 qts.

After the filter change, cleaning and reinstalling the tranny pan, I added 7 qts. back into the tranny. Then I pumped an additional 6 qts. into the pail to flush tranny and converter. The bucket was now full with 13 qts. The oil coming out of the line at the end of this "6 qt. flush" was absolutely fresh ATF.

I added the additional 6 qts. back to the tranny and the oil level was in the lower part of the normal range (difference was probably the fluid that was trapped in the Dacron filter).

After adding another pint the ATF level is perfect. So with 13 qts. I did a total fluid exchange with probably less than 2% of the old fluid mixing with the fresh M1 ATF and I never looked back.

Are you saying the 4L60E holds 13 qts?

Thats news because GM says it holds only 11 qts in all the service manuals I have access to.

The 4L80E (HD trans) holds 13 qts!

NO! What I was saying is that I ran 13 qts. of fresh ATF through the tranny, to make sure to flush as much old fluid out as possible. This process works also using only 11 qts. and I probably overdid it. Next time I will do an ARX application and only flush 11 qts.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
wink.gif

Are you saying the 4L60E holds 13 qts?

Thats news because GM says it holds only 11 qts in all the service manuals I have access to.

The 4L80E (HD trans) holds 13 qts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back