Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 and Red Line MT-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

After reading hundreds of topics on recommended synthetic gear fluids for my 2002 Toyota Tacoma Manual V6 4WD with 12K miles, I've settled on RoyalPurple MaxGear 75W90 and RedLine MT-90 75W90. (Engine is Mobil 1SS 5W30) Tell me what you think and if anyone has any comments on either product below. Thanks.

Redline MT-90 75W90 GL-4 synth gear oil:
Manual Trans
Transfer Case

Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 GL-5 synth gear oil:
Front Diff
Rear Diff

Redline is an excellent manual trans oil. I prefer the MT90 over any other gl4/5 manual transmission oil.

I never did care for RoyalPurple.
Stick with Redline, Amsoil, or use the Mobil1 GL5 for the front/rear gears.

Sounds like you've done your homework. When it comes to manual trannies I don't care what 'certain' owners manuals state - there is really no comparison to GL-4.

When it comes to GL-5 applications (differentials...) there's LOTS of synthetic options - I personally have no clue if there truly are any standouts or ones to avoid.....
dunno.gif

As for the transfer case - that's a bit of a tough one for me to call. There are no synchro rings typically so there is no reason to use a specialized product such as MT90. Since there are no synchros that is no yellow metal - thus no reason to use a GL-4. Now I'm not 100% sure because I've never personally tore into transfer cases - perhaps someone else can verify? But if so - a GL-5 does offer some added EP protection over a GL-4.

---

unDummy - when you say you prefer RL over other GL4/5s - as I'm sure you know MT90 is a pure GL-4 only. Have you ever compared RL to any other synthetic (or conventional) pure GL-4s? I realize there are only maybe 2 others out there. I have watched for a long time and looked and gone thru the archives but I'm yet to find even an antecdotal impression on the either of the other two synth GL-4s. It's always been a point of curiosity w/ me. RL enjoys a near perfect monopoly on this segment of lubrication - heck they deserve and don't abuse it in the slightest. That alone scores a few points in my book for the company.

I've tried other GL4's(nonsynth), the GL5's(which were compatible to GL4), and some GL5's.
MT90 is by far the best 75/80/90 type of oil out their.

I'm am also planning on ordering some GL4 soy vegetable gear oil for comparison soon.

I run a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 stick shift, and I've tried nearly everything in the transmission. From factory fill, to Amsoil series 2000, to Royal Purple, to Redline MTL, to Redline MT-90.

I finally settled on Amsoil series 2000 and transfered the RP to the differential. I still have jugs of the Redline sitting around in case of an emergency.

OVER ALL: Amsoil was the smoothest shifting. Everything else was just too 'notchy' for my liking.

Grossomotto, why are you splitting up brands? Why not pick one good one and stick with it?

If you like Red Line's MT-90, why not use their GL5 75W90 in the diffs?

Conversely, doesn't Royal Purple make a GL4 gearbox oil? You could use their stuff all the way around if you like that brand.

Just curious.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror

Some good questions. I researched this quite extensively on the internet since I haven't used either product before. I read great things about RedLine MT-90 and Toyota Man Trans. Quite right, the stuff is awesome. I also read great things about Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 in the Diffs. It's got to be better than the facory fill. I got a good deal on a case of the Royal Purple and I'm gonna do my Wife's '02 4Runner, as well.

Actually, the Royal Purple Max Gear is 75W90 GL4 and GL5 rated, so you can use in everyting; man trans, transfer case and f/r diffs! But, the Red Line MT-90 is GL4 specific and works flawlessly with these Toyotas!

Forgot to add

I also use Mobil 1 SS in both trucks. So, I use 3 different oils. I don't like Red Line or Royal Purple for engine oil. For the price, availability and quality ($24 for 5 quart jug at WalMart) you can't go wrong with Mobil 1 SS. Heck, all of these Synthetics are better than the factory fills.

quote:

I finally settled on Amsoil series 2000 and transfered the RP to the differential. I still have jugs of the Redline sitting around in case of an emergency.

OVER ALL: Amsoil was the smoothest shifting. Everything else was just too 'notchy' for my liking.

Interesting, since I found just the opposite situation. Amsoil fluids were too notchy and Redline 50/50 mix of MTL and MT90 were the only fluids at the time to cure notchiness and free up shifter in cold weather.

Like 'Kule, I've had excellent results with the Red Line synchromesh fluids ... and I'm talking over a decade of use.

Spector is/was a big Amsoil fan and even he admitted their gear oils were not as good as Red Line.
dunno.gif

I'm skeptical of lubes which claim both GL4 and GL5 status. The additive packages should be significantly different for different applications (gearboxes versus differentials).

Anyway, good luck Grossomotto. I'm sure all the fluids you are considering will work well.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back