Camry - when to change transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked through the Toyota owners manual for my 1998 Camry and there is nothing there about changing the transmission fluids during normal use. In other words, the recommended maintenance for normal driving never recommends a transmission fluid change. For heavy duty driving (like pulling a trailer) it recommends 30,000 mile changes.

My fluid is dark but does not smell burnt at 72,000+ miles. I have never had to add any fluid, nor have I had any problems with the transmission.

I suspect I need to have it changed. Am I right?

They recommend DII or Dexron III. Is this ok, or should I use something else, like Dexron V that I have read about here? Or, should I go with a synthetic or synthetic blend? And, is DII actually Dexron II?

I'd go ahead and change it now as it is certainly due. I use Mobil 1 synthetic fluid in my 98 Tacoma 4x4 and 01 Corolla. It is easy to change with the drain plug in the transmission pan. We had a 1993 Corolla 3 speed auto and you had to service the differential through a separate drain plug.

Your Camry very likely doesn't have the separate diff. but your manual will verify. It's not necessary but may be adviseable to do another fluid change in a short time so as to purge any of the remaining fluid out as 72k is significant mileage. Just think though, if you had been driving a domestic you'd probably of had to replace the transmission by now. Ha Ha!!

Thanks for the help. A couple more questions.

I just went to a couple stores to see what was available. Right now money is tight and I do not want to buy the synthetic after seeing its price. I basically see three choices. Pennsoil basic brand; Valvoline for high mileage vehicles; or Pennsoil partially synthetic. The first two are Dexron III, as recommended by the manufacturer. The last is a one size fits all "multi vehicle" which is apparently approved for most vehicles, including those needing Dexron III. Which would be better?

I agree that I should change it again in the near future. Once I do this change, I will keep my eye on the color.

They all would work by the sound of it so why not buy the cheapest one. You can change it a few times using one of these products and then after that you could use the full synthetic. No point in flushing the transmission so to speak with expensive synthetic fluid.

Gizmo and 7T,
I have a '99 Camry 58k and it does have a diff on the rear of the trans.I put synth ATF in there.Remove the driverside wheel for access.Remove the fill plug first.I did 10k filter fluid.Now a fluid in between.I have used Castrol,Mobil or Valvoline ATFs for Drexon II or III.So far so good.
Good luck,
RichR

Use Castrol Dexron 3 thats what is used at the dealership. Its about 1.89 a quart.

I would change it out every oil change since its never been changed. You don't want to shock it! Just drain the pan. You should really get in the habit of changing it every couple of years or 30000 miles at least. I will be changing mine in the Tacoma in a month or so which will put me about 7000 miles and 10 months. It will then be done once a year.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6000 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82200 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I have a 99 camry, and I switched the fluid out to schaeffer's supreme blend, and I am quite impressed with the improved shift quality.
smile.gif

gizmo, there is no "Dexron V" designation. Shoot, there isn't even a "Dexron IV", yet. (At least no one has told G.M. about 'em, and they're the ones who develop and license the Dexron specification!) Your confusion may be from the fact that Dexron III is compatible with Ford's "Mercon" spec., and there is a further upgrade for current Ford trannies to use "Mercon V". But, there is NO equivalent Dexron that can be used in place of "Mercon V". If you've got 72,000 miles on that Toyota trannie factory fluid, do it a favor and change the fluid out to Toyota's current "T4" designation.

quote:

Originally posted by gizmo77:
My fluid is dark but does not smell burnt at 72,000+ miles.*-*-*-

Anytime the color changes, then change the fluid.
You are way overdue with 72K...
You may want to do a couple short changes to get everything out or maybe do a flush --- but it needs to be changed... at least at 30K

Gizmo,
I'd do an Auto-Rx cleaning of your transmission, then a complete flush with your choice of top quality Dexron III ATF...I like Chevron among the conventionals and Schaeffer for a better ATF.

I believe that for '98 only the Supra requires Toyota's type T-IV ATF, and Dexron III is correct for you. Check with your dealer.

GM's current Dexron® spec is III-G. They'll have a III-H spec out next year.

Ken

Just came back from having the Transmission pumped out the stock fluid (very dirty)and refill with 8 qts. of AMSOIL ATM. About 2 months ago I put in 3 oz of Lube Control so that may helped in the cleaning process. Anyone with a Camry if you have 23000 or more miles I would do this not because I did it but the car needs it I am sure. I had 23000 miles on the 2003 Camry 4 cyl auto.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
Just came back from having the Transmission pumped out the stock fluid (very dirty)and refill with 8 qts. of AMSOIL ATM. About 2 months ago I put in 3 oz of Lube Control so that may helped in the cleaning process. Anyone with a Camry if you have 23000 or more miles I would do this not because I did it but the car needs it I am sure. I had 23000 miles on the 2003 Camry 4 cyl auto.
tongue.gif

Please tell me you didn't actually use AMSOIL ATM for tranny fluid. 10W30 motor oil is going to be worse than your old ATF.
tongue.gif

OOPS! I mean ATF ATF. Those letters always confuse me anyway. I never could figure out how they got S2K for the series 2000 0/30 oil.Why not make it easy say 2000/0/30 for series 30005/30 NOOOO that would make it way to easy.
banghead.gif
freak2.gif

gizmo77, I understand tight on money!! I would use any of the name brand Dex III fluids. Anything is better then Dex III with 77,000 miles on it! I would pick up 4-5 quarts and drain and refill. I would do this for the next 4-5 oil changes. This way you slowly get all the old ATF out and any built up contaminets.

If that trany has a user serviceable trany filter you might want to change it in the not to distaqnt future. If this is too hard for you to do consider saveing up for it and have it done.

I would not worry about anytype of flush or Auto-Rx at this point! It would nice but is not needed and is not practical if money is tight!

Gizmo:

I had an 88 V6 camry with the auto tranny... at 210K the engine was fine but the tranny finally gave out on me. I would definitely suggest the cheapest flush you can find, then a service / filter change with a nice synthetic fluid. If money is tight, get the flush at Jizzy Lube or wherever it's cheapest, and stick with that until you put another 30K on it for the service and refill for a good syn fluid.

Camry trannies are pretty well built. the reason mine died was because a cooler hose ruptured on me on the highway and by the time I got stopped it was too late. Be sure to check all your hoses, kids :)

Also, make sure your radiator / tranny cooler is in good shape. I remember my fluid smelling burned after about 140K.

Good luck.

The 1997 to 2001 I4 Camry has drain and fill plugs for the differential. The V6 dif can be filled through the transmission filler. I have one I4 which has gone 300K with just automatic transmission pan drains every 30K.

My 1996 V6 Camry has 313,000 miles, original engine & transmission. Shifts perfectly. Maintenance: 15-20,000 mile pan drains and 100,000 mile fluid transfers via oil cooler line with pan drop and new screen install. Fluid: Mobil-1 ATF. But on to your application: You've not hurt your transmission, simply based on no fluid changes yet, but one IS past due. I'd simply use the cheapest decent (Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.)Dexron ATF available, drop the pan and install a new screen. I'd do a simple pan-drain via the drain plug at each engine oil change over the next 3 or 4 intervals, then another pan drop with another screen change. At that time, you should be set for 30,000 mile ATF change intervals. The 541E Asian transmission Toyota used during this time frame is one of the finest A/T's ever made.

On an 02 camry there is an oil change bolt in the pan, makes it easy to change yourself, of course not the filter. For my older 1998 Chrysler I tried Supertech, and was very pleased with the shift quality. The ST version for your car should be fine as a budget choice. Even for a non budget choice. The bottle shows the back specs to your DII to make sure it's the right one. The 02 uses T-IV which is another story I found.

Save your money on fancy snake oil additives and bogus "power back flushes". Just start a regular drain-and-fill program using a quality brand-name Dexron III fluid. Check the condition the lines that run to your radiator as well.

How do you shock it?

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
I would change it out every oil change since its never been changed. You don't want to shock it! Just drain the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back