VW/Audi ATF replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of an aftermarket, preferrably synthetic, ATF that can be used in place of the VW/Audi ATF for the Tiptronic transmissions? VW basically says to use only their fluid and gives no specs/standards which a compatible fluid would have to meet.

There's quite a bit of info about the tranny and fluid here...

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange.html

VW/Audi claims it's a lifetime fluid but the bottle says the ATF is a "Highly Refined Mineral Oil" and has a 3 year shelf life. I'm planning to change the ATF in my Passat at 50k miles and would put in another/better fluid if there is an aftermarket alternative.

Thanks,
Matt

I believe Esso EGL (or LT?) 71 141 is approved for use in VW and Audi automatic transaxles.

[ August 21, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

The Esso was the only one I had seen. I wrote Redline and here was my e-mail and their response...

>Does Redline have an ATF compatible with
>my '99 VW Passat Tiptronic transmission?
>Esso LT 71141 is the only fluid I have
>found recommended for this transmission.
>
>Thanks,
>Matt

The Red Line D4ATF is a suitable replacement for the LT 71141 fluid and our recommendation for that transaxle.

txmatt, you forgot to mention that the VW ATF is nearly $15.00 per quart!
gr_eek2.gif

apparently, they mistook my ex-girlfriend's '97 Jetta for a Ferrari! Talk about sticker shock on the ATF fluid and filter change! I asked to take a look at a bottle of the impossibly pricey ATF and read pretty much what you stated..."highly refined mineral oil" yada-yada-yawn

The service manager had told me that there was no recomended drain interval and that the fluid was designed to last the life of the car (understandable, since that Jetta wasn't exactly built to last
rolleyes.gif
). I politely explained to him that I didn't buy all that nonsense and to fill'er up with petroleum distillate posthaste!

Next time a salesman tries NOT to sell me something, I might listen
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Steve_RI:
I also own a Passat and I'm interested in this topic as well. Here's what Redline says about the D4ATF:

"Synthetic Dexron III and Mercon Fluid meeting the requirements of most transmission manufacturers. Superior stability allows high-temperature operation without varishing valve and clutches. Also provides tremendously improved shifting in cold weather. The best low-temperature shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles which require ATFs"

They did realize the tiptronic was an auto, yes?
Redline would be a much cheaper alternative in this case, which is unusual for Redline
smile.gif

After poking around it seems the ESSO=EXXON (US distributor) and the equivalent part number to LT 71141 is G-052-162-A2. This can found much cheaper on the web.
patriot.gif

Check out my Volvo thread as well...Volvo wants $20/qt for their replacment fluid, and of course, doesn't list what standard they are sticking to...

I also own a Passat and I'm interested in this topic as well. Here's what Redline says about the D4ATF:

"Synthetic Dexron III and Mercon Fluid meeting the requirements of most transmission manufacturers. Superior stability allows high-temperature operation without varishing valve and clutches. Also provides tremendously improved shifting in cold weather. The best low-temperature shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles which require ATFs"

Redline would be a much cheaper alternative in this case, which is unusual for Redline
smile.gif

After poking around it seems the ESSO=EXXON (US distributor) and the equivalent part number to LT 71141 is G-052-162-A2. This can found much cheaper on the web.
patriot.gif

[ August 25, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Steve_RI ]

quote:

Originally posted by NutBuster:
!

The service manager had told me that there was no recomended drain interval and that the fluid was designed to last the life of the car

Next time a salesman tries NOT to sell me something, I might listen
pat.gif

Why do not believe this? My VW dealer does not even have a trans service for my automatic Passat GLX because it is a lifetime fluid and they are giving a 10/100K miles warranty on it. Don't be too quick to judgement based on what you read here, many on the VW site I read sometimes call this the "brainwash site"

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Why do not believe this? My VW dealer does not even have a trans service for my automatic Passat GLX because it is a lifetime fluid and they are giving a 10/100K miles warranty on it. Don't be too quick to judgement based on what you read here, many on the VW site I read sometimes call this the "brainwash site" [/QB]

Check out this thread with some used Tiptronic ATF analysis...

http://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/22083.phtml

Keep in mind that VW/Audi also recommends 105k timing belt change intervals for the 1.8T (of which quite a few have broken early) and had to publish TSB's to correct the oil capacity of early 1.8T's and that denied a widespread coil pack issue. Their word is not gospel either.

Manufacturer recommendations take into accont a lot of things other than what is ultimately the best thing for the machine: the appearance of a minimal-maintenance vehicle for 100k miles for instance. I don't think anyone will argue that the tranny will last 100k miles on the original fluid. And what does VW care if it craps out at 110k or 150k.

A number of people on ClubB5 have had it done at the dealer for $250 - $350. Should be able to do it yourself for
Matt

I know its an old thread but I have purchased the Redline D4ATF for my 99 Passat Tiptronic (Auto). I intend to have an independant shop do a filter change, drain and fill with the redline ATF. What should I used for the final drive gear? 75w90 is recommended, but do I use the 75w90NS or the 75w90 from Redline? advice?? Anyone??

It's funny that Volkswagen has a lifetime fluid yet they stock it by the cases at their parts departments and they sell the $45 filters by the dozens. In addition to the sticker shock of replacing the fluid at $15 per liter is the pan gasket that is going to also cost you a incredible $45.00. As a friendly tip, this gasket is reuseable several times so if you buy one ensure that you can return any unused parts that you didn't need. You will most likely need that safety cap that seals the refill plug (p/n 01m 321 435B) and a new refill plug since the little keeper tabs are plastic and usually break when removed (p/n 01m 321 432a).

I have no problems recommending the Redline D4 fluid. It outperforms Esso Lt71141 fluid in every single performance category that I've been able to compare. The main idea behind the Esso lt 71141 fluid was to prevent foaming that had become a issue on the old 096 transmission back in the middle 1990's.

quote:

Originally posted by txmatt:
...VW/Audi claims it's a lifetime fluid but the bottle says the ATF is a "Highly Refined Mineral Oil" and has a 3 year shelf life. ...

lol.gif
Let me get this straight - in a sealed bottle at ambient temperature the fluid turns to who knows what after 3 years (to the day?), but installed in the transaxle and subject to operating temperatures and mechanical shearing forces, the stuff lasts a "lifetime"? Have I got that about right? Wow, one more startling example of, (drumroll, please, Maestro...), lubrication Amazing Facts!

quote:

Originally posted by Chris_S:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve_RI:

smile.gif

patriot.gif

Check out my Volvo thread as well...Volvo wants $20/qt for their replacment fluid, and of course, doesn't list what standard they are sticking to...

If your Volvo uses a Aisin-AW tranny, you can get away with Toyota Type T-IV or the Mobil equivalent.

Mobil does not have a retail ATF for Toyota T-IV.

Redline D4 is said by Redline to be OK when Volvo ATF is spec'ed, as well as the Volvos requiring Dexron ATF. Confirm this directly with Redline. Redline told me that they do not have an ATF for Toyota T-IV.

Redline told me to keep the VW juice in the transmission until after the end of the warranty...it doesn't have the red dye of Redline, and Redline doesn't want to get into the middle of a warranty claim denial.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Redline told me to keep the VW juice in the transmission until after the end of the warranty...it doesn't have the red dye of Redline, and Redline doesn't want to get into the middle of a warranty claim denial. Ken

This is what I'm doing till the 100k warranty expires. Pentosin is available for about $8-$9 per liter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back