Best oil for Getrag G360

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking a while, I have a question for the oil gurus. I recently bought a '93 Dodge pickup with the Cummins and a Getrag 5 speed. The manual recommends 5W-30 motor oil and says you never have to change it. Not surprisingly, these transmissions have a reputation for failed input shaft bearings. Many people advise overfilling the trans by half a quart to alleviate this problem. I believe this masks the actual problem, which is that normal 5W-30 motor oil can't handle the shearing action of the gears and thickens over time, causing poor lubrication splash/flow. I think the lube needs to be changed more often than never (well, duh). What oil do you guys think I should use, and how long do you think it should be left in? Please explain your reasoning when you answer, even if your reason is "That's what I sell." Thanks in advance for any info.

If it has a Getrag why not try the GM syncromesh trans fuild. It's rated as a 5W-30 and works very well in the Getrag trannys.

or Neo MTF or Redline MTL or any quality synthetic motor oil......

I also know of other manual transmissions that need to be overfilled a little to be happy----the old jack up the side of the vehicle while adding gear oil(side fill plugs). Its good practice. Excess will burp out of the vent(if so equipped).

What viscosity are the NEO and Redline available in? What makes them better than a synthetic motor oil? Any ideas on how long to leave them in there?

Since the Cummins presents some high-torque to this tranny, I would use Redline's MT-90.

The MT-90 is an Equivalent SAE 15W40 oil and is a tranny lubricant with a pour point of -49 F.

If you find that winter shifting is hard or sticky, you might want to mix the Redline MTL (5W30) with the MT-90 at a ratio of 2 qts MTL to 1 quart of MT-90. This ratio is my preferred tranny lube for all-around use.

A guy I worked with has a 1994 3/4 conventional cab 4x4 Dodge Cummings w/5-speed trans. He has around 175,000 miles and the trans has never had any problems, nor has he changed the lube. He only changes the engine oil, nothing else.

Engine and trans are the only things that are not a problem. He told me that he has spent 1000's on brakes and they still freeze up in cold weather to the point he can't move the truck. Last time it happened he spent over %2000 on the brakes, new everything, rotors, calipers, drums, bearings, etc and its the same. I had to pull him last winter with my suburban down a bare highway for about 300 feet before the rear wheels broke free. The noise it made sounded like an explosion. How's your brakes?

btw-His truck was a D/C employee truck (his dad) and was an early production of the new (current style) model. The warranty repairs list is a mile long. His dad;s contacts at D/C admit to massive brakes problems on the 94 and up 3/4 ton 4x4.

I don't know about the brakes in cold weather, I got the truck 3 weeks ago. The '93 and '94 are totally different trucks, so I hope the problem won't affect me. BTW, I ordered the Redline MTL. Thanks for the info.

I put the Redline MTL in this afternoon, and all I can say is WOW! It made a big difference. I never thought the trans shifted that bad except for the occasional hitch going into 4th. Now it just floats into every gear, I love it. Thanks again for the good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back