Royal Purple ATF in F-150 4R70W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Royal Purple be the best choice in a 01 Ford Ford F-150 that requires Mercon. It is Mercon rated.

Im deciding between Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple. Is Royal purple more Mercon rated than Mercon V?

I'm planning on adding 6 oz of Auto-RX Trans Medic to my truck's transmission this week, so I have about 1000 miles to decide what I'll change it with. It's an 01 F-150 5.4 with 32k.

i use redlines 75w 140 whats called for in my big rear 3.73 locker on my ford expy along with fords diff. additive..redline in tranny also d4 with synergyn's oil treatment 1oz. per quart very smooth shifting in my tranny and transfer case

The 4R70W needs mErcon-V.

You're going to be looking at:

Redline D4, Amsoil Universal ATF, and Mercon-V synthetic blends/group III ATFs

I would recommend going with the GRoup III/Blends or the Redline D4.

Amsoil Universal ATF is flaky in the compatibility department.

I would continue to use Mercon V in trannies which came originally with it....It's semi-synthetic and only $3.50/qt. at Ford and the best fluid for the 4R70W

Like has been said before - a 01 4R70W will require Mercon V. Mobil 1 is NOT Mercon V rated. The only true synthetics are Amsoil Universal ATF and Redline D4 ATF. Nothing else is totally synthetic or compatible. Most Mercon V fluids are a synthetic blend and are a good value for the $$.

Just did my E150 (4R70W) with PENNZOIL MERCON V from PepBoys @ $2.89 qt.Maybe not the best, but reasonable if you plan to change it sooner than later.
Oh, watch the Filter reference numbers. They sold me a Purolator filter(kit) with no pickup tube below. Allomatic which makes them gave me the correct # and a warning to get it right or else
shocked.gif
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back