Toyota Power Steering fluid (change to Mobil 1 ATF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw some of the posts about Mobil 1 used in power steering system. A 2000 Toyota manual states Dextron II or III can be used in the power steering. I looked at the existing fluid, and its a light amber color. Is it OK to totally replace the old stuff with Mobil 1 ATF, and does Toyota have some proprietary additives in their factory fill?

Thanks,

Hapuna

It says right on your PS oil fill cap to use "Dexron Type ATF Fluid". So yes Mobil 1 Dexron III can be used.

DON'T use products called
"Power Steering Fluid" - these are intended for American cars and many Toyota owners report their system develop leaks if they use "Power Steering Fluid"

Hapuna,
My understanding is that the original Toyota power steering fluid is ATF without the red dye...all ATF for transmissions has the red dye.

offtopic.gif
Several years back I had one hydraulic system where the manufacturer called for 10W-30 engine oil as the hydraulic oil. I needed some while I was in Singapore, bought several drums of Caltex 10W-30 and was surprised to find it dyed red. It worked fine, but I had to be careful to explain to everyone that it was not ATF.

Ken

Hapuna Beach,

I've been running the Amsoil synthetic ATF in the power steering of my Tacoma for the last 8 years. No problems and the steering is nice and quiet in subfreezing weather.

I used a turkey baster and refilled several times, until I had added about 2.5 qts of fluid. It still looks very clear 60,000 miles later.

TooSlick

...I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my 98 Tacoma in the P.S. and in the auto transmission since new, with no problems. I have a "Mityvac" vaccuum pump tool which is designed for bleeding brakes but works great for transferring fluids like in the PS reservoir. You'll have to remove /add fluid several times to purge the old fluid out.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Hapuna Beach,I've been running the Amsoil synthetic ATF in the power steering of my Tacoma for the last 8 years. No problems and the steering is nice and quiet in subfreezing weather.TooSlick

Same for me in my 92 Camry which calls for Dexron II I believe.

I switched my 95 XJR over to Mobil 1 ATF in the PS as well.

It works wonders. I am guessing my car had original fluid in it as low speed operation was pretty bad.

My pump has a variable output based on the vehicle speed. Going slower I get more power assist, but as the car goes faster, there is less.

Before I changed the fluid out, the low speed operation was less than desired.

The Mobil 1 ATF solved this problem.

Tim

no wonder I only got my 87 corolla to 183k miles. I made a ton of mistakes on my beater which probably caused its demise.

I put the "power steering" fluid label in the power steering reservoir. all of it leaked out.

I put the orange antifreeze in it thinking it was better for the cooling system when it was supposed to get the green antifreeze.

I put sythetic engine oil after 11 yrs and 160k miles. It was an oil burner alright, it burned it all up within two weeks. it was knockin. That was before I found this site. learned alot from here.

The car died three years ago.
frown.gif
I still have the car actually. I don't know if I should have the engine rebuilt or put it in a junkyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back