Replace ATF TYPE F with??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that my 2 cases of type F are almost gone. What should I buy now for my 69 ford C6 and 2 stroke dirt bike tranny that I have used type F in for years? Can't seem to find any more. Non Synthetic would be nice. Suggestions?
confused.gif

I don't think i've ever seen a store not carry Type F. Even the local Walmart and Kmart have at least one brand of Type F.

Where do you live that selection is so horrible?

ferb!

Thanks for help I guess I will have to try Wal-Mart. Went to 2 local auto parts stores 1 was a chain store. Both said Type F was obsolete 1 told me that Ford has not used since the 70s. I like to give the smaller stores some business But It starting to get old fast. This same chain store the next day told me they don't carry thoes kind of belts it was a V-BELT!
banghead.gif

you have a 69 C6? I didnt read that.

DUMP ALL THE OLD FLUID OUT.

drain torque converter, drop pan, change filter, blow out cooler lines.

Replace with:

Mobil 1 ATF
Mercon-V ATF
Amsoil ATF
Quaker State Synthetic Blend 4x4 ATF

any one of those will be fine.

My dad's 89 E-150 had a C6 and Ford specified Mercon.

Type F is still used on a few modern cars, I don't know why.

If anything the friction modifier properties of Type F are slightly different from that of Mercon or Mercon-V, but the brands I listed are synthetic or synthetic blends w/ much better properties than the ancient Type F. All Ford PS units use Mercon now (at least in their real vehicle lineup: V8 trucks, vans, and cars) whereas in the early 80s late 70s Ford specified Type F.

I could have sworn I read a Ford TSB article stating to use Mercon in all tranny apps that called for Type F.

I know my dad's 89 E-150 had a C6. I don't see why one C6 uses Mercon and another C6 uses Type F.

IIRC my Ford AOD from 1981 used Type F from the factory, and we switched to Mercon as soon as it came out.

As for PS units - you may have to stick with Type F, I know some PS pumps are very sensitive to different FM additives.

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
Now that my 2 cases of type F are almost gone. What should I buy now for my 69 ford C6 and 2 stroke dirt bike tranny that I have used type F in for years? Can't seem to find any more. Non Synthetic would be nice. Suggestions?
confused.gif

I believe the Amsoil powershift transmission fluid would work, The powershift stuff is what they rebottled into the Supershift Racing Fluid, that is specified as a Ford Type F.

So what I would do is go to a tractor store and ask for something with the specs of this, I'm sure that they probably make a non-synthetic version of it, either John Deere, M-F, catapillar or something like that:
Compare these two sheets:(I'ts the exact same stuff only the racing is in quarts.)

http://www.amsoil.com/products/art.html

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ctg.html

And since the Racing is 6.3@100 ask for the 10w.

Here are some applications that this fluid is called for:
Caterpillar TO-4
Allison C-4 and TES-295
HD Torque and Drivetrain
Eaton Fuller CD-30 (SAE 30)
Eaton Fuller CD-50 (SAE 50)

[ January 27, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Hirev, don't despair you can still find Type F tranny/PS fluid in just about any retail chain or auto parts store and it's inexpensive. Like Spector I have a '96 Ford Contour, the Mystique's cousin. It requires, according to the manual, Type F fluid for the PS unit, while at the same time, my manual tranny calls for Mercon. Metroplex, can you give me your sources stating that it's ok to use other than a Type F fluid in the power steering unit in my '96 Contour. I'd love to be able to use some synthetic fluid in it's place if it's approved by Ford. Thanks!

Whimsey

First off what a cool forum put together well. Wal-Mart did have Type F in stock. I like type f because it can be used in lot of things. I have also used it in 4 speeds back in the early 80s. Motroplex I to thought I read some where that you could use Mercon in place of Type F But sure can't remember where.
banghead.gif
I was looking for few days. I didn't know they made the C-6 that many years. It was a stout tranny. Anyway wanted to thank everone for help. saving it for future ref.
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back