Dodge NV-3500 transmission oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Dodge WS-1500 pickup will be ready for a transmission oil change (5 speed manual) soon. The Amsoil rep said to use either diesel 5W-30 or ATF in this transmission. I live in Richmond, VA, so the climate is fairly warm. It tows a 2000 pound boat, but that's the heaviest use it sees. Which oil would be a better choice for smooth shifts, or should I just refill with the GM Synchromesh type fluid? Does anyone know how many quarts this transmission takes? Thanks.
cheers.gif

BE CAREFUL with that tranny !!!
I had a Jeep Wrangler Sport which came withe the same tranny (M/Y 2000 and up) and this tranny can not use GL5 gear oils. The factory fill on the Jeep NV3550 is Penzoil Synchromesh, which is Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant P/N 4874464. Chrysler dealers charge $12.50/quart for that stuff!! ....... look at the thread below...some guys used GL5 fluids in their manuals and had serious problems after only a couple thousand miles.leading even to rebuilds.

Check this link for mucho information:
http://www.jeepforum.com/fo rum/search.php?s=26f55573a671bac3af903e2f8bcd406f&action=showresults&searchid=34621&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

If your manual specifies ATF, I would go with the REdline ATF....it is also rated GL4 and works great in manuals requiring ATF. Make sure to use your user manual as a guide and then call Redline for recommendations. I used Redline ATF in my '98 Z28 with the T56 manual that requires ATF.

[ December 26, 2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

My NV-3500 has Synchromesh as a factory fill. Does anyone know where I can get this oil cheaper than at the dealer? The owners manual says that it doesn't need to be changed, but I don't feel comfortable with that.
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back