Autozone will not take ATF/Manual Trans Fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

This happened to me down in NC when I changed out Son-in-Laws car. So I just brought it home. I see no problem-here, but just to be sure I mix it with engine oil and send it in. What's their problem??
mad.gif
Technically I am not lying I call it Mobil 1 (which it is-Mobil 1 ATF mixed with Mobil 1 Engine oil)

I recycle my old oil at Advance Auto, and I've never had them ask me what I was dumping in the tank. They do have a clip board where they want you to put the brand of oil, but it doesn't have a column to put the type of oil. (And most of the time, I forget to fill the thing out. And judging from the dates, I'd say most other people do, too.
grin.gif
)

The last time I recycled oil at Advance Auto Parts, the manager volunteered the info that they also took ATF & MTF. When I asked him where the return tank was for it, he said it goes in the same tank as the motor oil! He said the recycler didn't care, as long as it wasn't antifreeze or brake fluid.

opps, Autozone got a little brake fluid with the last batch I gave them, not to mention a whole bunch of transmission fluid.

I put antifreeze in a different container and pay to get rid of that. But what do you do with brake fluid? The cats won't drink it.

[ December 04, 2002, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

Ever since Advanced Auto purchased Discount Auto, they have gone to the crapper
thumbsdown.gif
They closed all of the Discount stores, but Advanced never hired more people, even thought their business has increased. Advanced Auto has horrible customer service, and on two occasions told me that they were too busy to recycle my oil, even though I have purchased it from them in the past.
dunno.gif
mad.gif
. After calling their district office, I have never had another problem with returning oil there.

Back to the original topic- I always mix oil, motor oil, MTF, ATF, Gear Oil, etc. Just take your antifreeze to a dealership or mechanic that you deal with on a regular basis. -Joe

Anti-freeze: There is generally not a problem dumping it down the drain in municipial sanitary sewer systems.

As far as as Advance Auto. I think they are pretty good. They dont however carry Mobil 1 ATF fluid, Bosch Filters, Mobil 1 filters. They remind me a little of KMart where selection sucks.

Yea I have probably mixed some brake fluid in there also- by accident of course
dunno.gif

Funny. I just use old gallon or 5 qt containers to return my used oil. I just leave it on the floor near the gap in the parts counter. A couple times I have just left it there before gettign my itmes, other times I have let them know I am putting it there. Never had a problem.

It's ridiculous to take motor oil but not ATF.

lol my local autozone they make you dump it, they never see/smell what it is, they get 90wt, used oil ATf and whatever other oil stufff I have to get rid of

the one here told me they filter it mix it with off spec kerosene diesel and gas and sell it as a really cheap fuel oil

when i was a kid we had a fuel oil power plant near my house maybe that is the kind of places it goes
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Anti-freeze: There is generally not a problem dumping it down the drain in municipial sanitary sewer systems.

I specifically asked our city about dumping antifreeze in the sanitary drain, and they advise against this practice. A search on the internet shows that most municipalities forbid this practise. Once in a while you hear that it's okay in the sanitary drain.

But I'm still not satisfied with the explanation. I know that antifreeze is an alcohol that naturally breaks down, so I can't see why it's harmful to the treatment plant or environment.

Does this depend on how the municipal treatment plant is set up? Who has the real story? It's very inconvenient for me to recycle antifreeze.

Thats strange....The advanced here has no problem with gear, atf, or motor oil. As long as it has "oil" somewhere in the name, they let you dump it.

I usually bring my oil in on the weekday's, as your not really supposed to dump more then 5 gallons at a time...and with 5 car's at the house, old oil piles up fast
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I specifically asked our city about dumping antifreeze in the sanitary drain, and they advise against this practice. A search on the internet shows that most municipalities forbid this practise. Once in a while you hear that it's okay in the sanitary drain.

Good question. Ethylene glycol and di-ethylene glycol are quite toxic (the stuff's he11 on the central nervous and renal systems), and the sweet taste attracts dogs and cats. My daughter lost a cat I gave her for her birthday to the stuff because her new step-daddy left a pan of drained coolant under his car. But, pouring the stuff into the sanitary drain (which is seperate from the storm drain system) is at worst gonna lead to the demise of a few sewer rats. (Are they also on the EPA's list of endangered species? I wonder whether the tons of ammonia-laden urine and disease-bearing fecal material flushed daily should be banned from the municipal sanitary drain systems, too...) As you stated, antifreeze will naturally break down in the presence of bacteria at the treatment plant.

Anytime I take my oil anywhere it's a nasty mix of anything oily found in my truck.
smile.gif
I have started burning most of it though...

The AutoZone here has told me specifically that they accept oil AND transmission fluid. I wouldn't expect that they would have any problem with gear oil, given the similarity to motor oil. I don't think they'd allow brake fluid, but if I were to ACCIDENTALLY mix a ***little*** in with the oil, I can't see it hurting anything. Most of that used oil is burned, anyway.

I actually called the Detroit Water and Sewerage Dept. about the antifreeze question. I was told that it was acceptable to pour it into a sink drain provided that I flushed it with a generous amount of water to dilute it. I would obviously never pour it down the sewer drain, but if I spill a little on the driveway, I don't typically worry about it. The only way to recycle that stuff around here is to take it to an oil change place or mechanic, as the city and county DON'T take antifreeze. I don't feel right doing that, though, because I do all my own work. The last time the car saw a shop was for a recall last year. I don't remember the time before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back