Loud 2nd gear whine in NV3500 (S-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normal?

It's been loud since day one, maybe a little quieter now that there's 7k miles on the clock.

Lube is whatever GM uses as a factory fill...

The book calls for a special sauce with a ten-mile long GM part number. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't similar to the MS9417 stuff used in the New Venture MTX in the Neon.

It's called something like "GM synchromesh transmission fluid."

This product is roughly equal to a 5w-30, synthetic engine oil that does not contain friction modifiers. For example, the Series 3000, synthetic diesel oil is specifically recommended for this application.

You could probably also use something like Mobil Delvac 1, 5w-40, but I'd check with ExxonMobil on that.

GM P/N, 12345349

I have the NY-3500 trans. in my Dodge WS-1500 and it whines similar to what you describe. Almost sounds like an automatic when it is ready to shift into third gear. Check fluid level and add GM synchromesh fluid or if it were me, I would drain and fill with Amsoil diesel 5W-30.

'Cuz said: " ... if it were me, I would drain and fill with Amsoil diesel 5W-30."

I's never use a motor oil for a gearbox/diff application. There's always a better fluid available. I'd use the Pennzoil fluid if I had to (available at Autozone) or if it were my vehicle, I'd try Red Line MTL ... especially since this application seems to be a sensitive one.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back