power steering fluid vs ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my power steering fluid flushed and filled at Midas in my 89 Pathfinder. I figured it was long overdue for a PS fluid change. The thing that concerns me is that Midas filled it with power steering fluid versus ATF that the truck calls for. After I told the service guy that it call for ATF he was pretty adamant that this stuff was better
rolleyes.gif

Maybe he's right, but what are your thoughts?

I may be wrong, but I feel that "Power steering fluid" is ATF without the red dye. I run Mobil 1 synthetic with LubeGard Red in my power steering.

If you go into a Ford dealer and ask for Power Steering fluid (or ATF) they will give you the same bottle. It says Power Steering Fluid and ATF on it.

All of my GM cars allow ATF for Power Steering. I use synthetic ATF in my PS because
of its low temp pumpability. I have never had to have any PS pumps or gear boxes replaced, and both vehicles have over 255,000 miles on them.

I had the same concerns a while back about what to put in the power steering pump.
The GM dealer told me that the reason they are now recommending power steering fluid as opposed to ATF is because the ATF can be a fire hazard whereas the power steering fluid is not.
If a leak developed then the power steering fluid would not create a fire hazard.

Steven

From the Pyroil PSF datasheet.

Power Steering Fluid Versus Transmission Fluid
Use the fluid recommended in the owner’s manual. Some power steering units are designed to use
transmission fluid, while others are designed to use power steering fluid. Using the wrong fluid can
cause performance deficiencies such as foaming or improper lubrication. Never use power steering
fluid in transmissions or as an engine oil.

[ August 30, 2002, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

That's a good point Steven. I know a guy who's car burned to the ground because his power steering fluid leaked like crazy and he was too cheap to fix it.

"If a leak developed then the power steering fluid would not create a fire hazard."

I'm not so sure about this. Any fluid leaking upon a hot exhaust manifold would burn if the manifold is hot enough for autoignition.

ATF and Power steering fluids are both hydraulic fluids.

All of my owners manuals state power steering fluid or ATF. Only the Ford product has a Type F for power steering and Mercon for the ATF. Thus, in my Camry, Mitsubishi, Izusu, Buick I use the Amsoil ATF in the power steering reservoir. The Ford gets Type F whatever I can find. All of these powers steering units have the same color fluid as ATF as well.,

"ATF and Power steering fluids are both hydraulic fluids."

The Pyroil and other PS fluids are all SAE 20 grades in terms of viscosity.
I like the Dexron III synth ATF because it's a 0W20.

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis - Dexron III in the transmission- type F in the Power steering

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis- Dexron V in the trans and Power steering per both owners manuals

I use the type III in the 85 model and draw it out twice a year,it's extremely hard on fluid in terms of heat .2 ounces of Synergyn seemed to help

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
"If a leak developed then the power steering fluid would not create a fire hazard."

I'm not so sure about this. Any fluid leaking upon a hot exhaust manifold would burn if the manifold is hot enough for autoignition.

ATF and Power steering fluids are both hydraulic fluids.

I've used fireproof hydraulic fluid. Costs a bunch, but works well and is specified for certain non-automotive applications. It needs special seals.

ken

[ August 26, 2002, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

I don't really claim to be knowledgeable here. But I recall asking a Ford service technician a while ago if I could run the PS fluid in my Ranger and He indicated to me that they were incompatable. I would not be happy with the Midas man's answer. Not really sure of his credibility.

Does anyone know the characteristics of "Mopar Power Steering Fluid"? Their Owner and Service manuals specify only it for the pumps in jeeps I deal with. I have gallons of Amsoil ATF in the garage but am too paranoid to try it.

David

Well, it looks like I should probably get this stuff out and put in ATF. I should have waited and did it right. Looks like I'm gonna do it myself though. Can I just unhook the low pressure line and let it pump out while adding ATF? I'm figuring it can't be too difficult since you really don't have to worry about air in the lines like brakes?

Don't take the hoses off the pump. The fittings on some cars contain small "O" rings that must be replaced. Take the LP hose off at the PS gear unit and let drain. The PS pump is capable of 150 psi and can shoot oil inside your skin if not handled properly. So don't run the engine, just let it gravity drain.

Thanks for the tip MolaKule, in addition, to help it along I think I'm gonna take the PS belt off and turn it by hand and add fluid until it's ATF red.

I use power steering fluid in my 98 chevy truck because thats what it calls for. I partially changed mine out last year with power steering fluid that I bought at the dealer. I would use what the owners manual says.

Wayne

Steve,

Sounds like a much safer method. Good Luck.
cheers.gif

[ August 27, 2002, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back