Fram, Purolator, STP, which one is good!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to get some expert advice from you guys....What air filter should I get? I'm just looking for something decent...not too interested in Amsoil Ea0 or those expensive kinds...just something for $10-15 a pop since I plan to do regular intervals

I can get Fram at walmart...Puralator seems to be only available at Pepboys...I can also get STP at walmart...is there another filter worth checking out thats good quality?

Inform me BITOG members
grin.gif

Steven, so many companies outsource so many air filters these days that the best answer I can give is this: Open the boxes & look at the filters for *your* application. I did this a few years ago, wound up buying a cheap ($4) house-brand filter for my '97 DOHC Neon, simply because it looked every bit as good as the Wix, Purolator, AC-Delco, STP, & a couple of others. Heck, I even counted pleats & wrote it down.

I didn't look at a Fram until I'd run the O'Reilly's filter for a week. I was shocked, it looked better in every way than all the others I'd seen. So I bought one & installed it in the parking lot!
grin.gif
The Fram #: CA-3660.

Nothing like looking for yourself.
cheers.gif

is counting the pleats really a sign of a filter being "superior" than others? I mean, what about where its built, quality of material, etc?

Well, if it helps, I own a 02 Nissan Maxima...the 00-03 Maximas all use the same air filter...so whoever out there with good knowledge on 00-03 maxima air filters, please chime in!

The regular Frams are usually above the price range of Supertech, Purolator Prem +, AC Delco, Motorcraft, and STP, which IMO are all better filters for a better price.

If you go higher up in price, WIX/Napa Gold and Pure Ones are nice quality filters as well.

If you like saving money, Pep Boys has monthly rebates on the Prem + filters and they are usually under a $1 after rebate. If you scroll down the main page, you will find the BITOG rebate/sales forum with lots of offers listed.

surfstar- so you're sayin stick with STP, Purolator, Supertech air filters instead of regular fram? how does it compare to their tough guard line? I might just go with the super-tech line, since I'm buying their oil filter for only like $2
smile.gif

For my application (drop in box type) STP, Fram, Purolator were all the same in look/design. I really like the design/quality of the Fram Toughguard - I'd highly recommend that. But, for my application (04 Sunfire) - my air filter box was built too big so most filters didn't fit. The only filter that fit snugly was a K&N (flame suit on). I've gotten better silicon numbers in my UOAs with K&N so I think it filters better. I like the idea of oiled filters. So, I'd recommend Fram Toughguard and K&N due to build quality and my personal experience.

I'm trying to avoid K&N...only becuz it's oiled filter and many Maximas have had bad problems with their MAF becuz of the oil...

I just want to stick with something simple...will super-tech give me good results? How about the Fram Tough Guard (heard its oiled, but not as much?)

Theres nothing wrong with Fram air filters, and their Toughguard air filters are very nice. I compared a TG to a pureone air filter and the TG had 20 more pleats. Of course the number of pleats is meaningless if the media is totally different. Another nice thing about the TG vs. the P1 is the TG is 6 dollars less.

it's just the fram oil filters you need to watch out for? but their air filter lines are real nice?

Theres nothing really "wrong" with fram their filters will do the job. Fram air filters are just about as good as anyother filter you can pick up at the stores and their TG filters have the oil on them which should help capture finer particles. As I said in my last post, when comparing the Pureone vs. the Fram TG I was more impressed by the fram. It was more firm, $6 cheaper, and had 20 more pleats. However, the P1 did seem to have a lot more oil on it. What realy matters in a filter is the quality of the element itself and since I have no way on knowing what one (TG/P1) is better I recommend the fram toughguard.

iam sorry i thought we were talking about oil filters...as far as air filters i would choose motorcraft, napa/wix,baldwin,donaldson,cummins filtration and purolator...i just don't trust the mass products thats avail. to the public...

Even the fram oil filters will get the job done. The problem is that for a few dollars less you can get a filter that is constructed better, and for a buck of two more you can get a filter like the pureone which is supposed to be one of the best on the market (for the price).

well i went out and bought the fram TG 4309...i counted the amount of pleats and it was 95...not too shaby i guess...for $10, u can't go wrong...

I'll post pictures of the installation

The TG is a nice filter. It is cheaper than the P1 and has better construction (pleats glued in place, thick gaskets, usually more pleats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back