Went back to Purolator from K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dads mechanic made a point the last trip home around christmas that you never see a K&N air filter get as dirty as paper. I too noticed that. Over the past couple months It got to bothering me so yesterday I put a new purolator filter in to replace the K&N, I now have my piece of mind back. I guess the loss of a couple MPGs will be worth the dirt not getting into the engine. Whats your thoughts?

Did you oil your K&N ? The oil is what stops dirt from getting in your engine. I've had one in my 99 F150 since new. 124000 miles later no problems at all. I did not notice any improvement in mileage , just a little more in power. Nothing earth shattering just a little more to get up hills without having to downshift out of 5th gear. I did get more mpg when I put in a Flowmaster muffler. I went from 300 miles before my low fuel light came on to 340.

It did, however it was only a couple, maybe 1 or 2 mpg
smile.gif

As far as potential power gains with a K&N air filter. A few months ago when I had my 03 Jag XKR (4.2 L V8, Supercharged) on the dyno and was experimenting with different ways to gain more power, one of the things we did was remove the stock pleated "paper" air filter and do some "pulls" with no filter media at all in the intake system.

RESULTS: ABSOLUTELY NO INCREASE IN HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE--NOT EVEN 1/2 HP!!!!

We also did some pulls with all of the air intake system forward of the MAF removed and the hood wide open and a huge fan blowing cool air over the engine. Same results--not one iota of power increase.

The guys I know that do regular oil analysis (as I do) and have tried the K&N have seen a dramatic increase in silicon (dirt) in their oil when the K&Ns were installed, and a subsequent decrease in silicon when the pleated "paper" (actually synthetic material) filter was re-installed.

Save your money and your engine and use a high quality pleated "paper" air filter.

Just to make sure that everyone here gets it:
grin.gif
wink.gif

quote:

As far as potential power gains with a K&N air filter. A few months ago when I had my 03 Jag XKR (4.2 L V8, Supercharged) on the dyno and was experimenting with different ways to gain more power, one of the things we did was remove the stock pleated "paper" air filter and do some "pulls" with no filter media at all in the intake system.

No, I dont "get it"

One test on one engine does not cover all engines.

Some may respond more than others.

There are lots of dyno results where the filter did do something.

For someone living in Los Angeles, California - someone who sees no dirt even when it is really windy - it should be ok to use a K&N air filter right? Airflow can be more of an advantage than greater cleaning & less air flow because of the City situation?

When I used to live 15 miles on gravel road in Iowa I had to change my air filter all the time
tongue.gif

quote:

For someone living in Los Angeles, California - someone who sees no dirt even when it is really windy - it should be ok to use a K&N air filter right?
Airflow can be more of an advantage than greater cleaning & less air flow because of the City situation?

Your intake plumbing is the bottleneck, not the air filter.
The OEM filter flow capabilities in most applications are more than enough to move as much air as your intake will ever be capable of digesting.
Don't fall for K&N marketing gimmicks.

IT is not a gimmick.

Stock air filters will flow enough at normal rpms but it is in the higher rpm range that they start to constrict.

K&N filters are great for higher performance applications and that for sure isn't a gimmick at all.

Well - I got the K&N filter + cleaning kit for Christmas. Before I was using Purolator.

Just wondering if it is worth my time/OK for my car to clean this K&N or just to buy a paper one when I live in Los Angeles, CA (no dust).

I like it because it is 1. Made in USA 2. Free (Christmas Gift) 3. Claims to increase Horsepower and be superior at filtration/air flow.

Maybe someone can also explain to a newbie like myself what a UOA is and how to get one?

Is that the BlackStone oil analysis? I just requested one last week if so.
tongue.gif
Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back