Cone Filter vs. Flat stock filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.. I thought there was some weird airflow thing as to why people would go with cone.. and boosted car seems to like the Mushroom style filters..

LMAO... thanx.. had that name for a long time.. I just recently got bored of it and will actually use a different alias if I decide to sign up on other boards ( but why would I )

cone filter supposedly has more surface area, therefore allows more airflow. Without the increase in surface area, however it's just for show.

Aftermarket air intakes are cones or mushrooms because space and packaging are the primary considerations.

Well, maybe I shoudl have said "maybe". Cone filters with built in velocity stacks around the base may have benefit, or the filters that have an open front end with more filter media there. But if you just stick one under your hood with no cold air setup, you'll decrease performance dramatically IMO because you'll be sucking in hot underhood air.

I was plannin on replacin the stock accordian tube from airbox to TB, and wrap some heatshield tapin around the airbox and pipe.. but then was considering bout the filter and it dawned on me why so many people run cone filter?

I've seen some paper no name cone filter with open end for bout $20 CAD.. I won't go with no name paper cone filter but thats why I thought I post and ask what is the benefit of cone and mushroom filter.

Notice...the following is for a specific car, and has no bearing on your exact application.

A guy on one of the b15 (current Nissan Sentra) forums did a cool expirement on his Spec-V. On the same day he did back to back comparison of a cone style filter on a short-ram style intake (under hood) vs. a true CAI.

He used a high quality temperature sensor stuck in the air flow path (can't remember how he did that part) just in front of the throttle body. I will try to summarize his results.

At highway speeds there was little to no difference in the temps. It was less than 3 degrees difference between the two types of intakes once the temp stabilized.

Sitting at a stop light or in traffic, there was a difference in temps. Enough to notice power loss, I am sure...but I can't remember the exact amount.

Pulling away from the stop light the CAI cooled down quicker than the short-ram, but not too much quicker.

I will try to find and link the test later. I can say that I has a true CAI on my SPEC-V. After reading the article I switched back to the short-ram for my own piece of mind during rain storms, etc.

Just food for thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back