K&N 10 HP gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching Spike TV yesterday and on Power Block, they took a new 2005 Mustang and were showing you how to get more HP out of it. They first started with a K&N cold air intake and then dyno'ed it. Charts showed a 10 HP gain, just from the air intake alone. Wow. I was impressed. Been reading on this forum a lot about the pros/cons/B.S./myth's etc. etc. on the HP gain, if any, installing one of those new intakes. It obviously worked for the Ford Mustang. Even a new cat back system only showed 6 HP increase.

I think it isn't as much the stated HP gain as how much dirt is passing though the filter that is most of discussion on the board. I'm sorry but 5 hp on my 2.3 liter isn't enough to convince me that it is a better filter.
I wonder how much HP you would get if you added an additional cold air inlet to the present Air box.
I'm looking for another box out of a Junk yard so I can add more air flow through into my system. I'm not cutting up a newish $75 box just to find out if it would work.

I wonder if the improvement is due to the design of the intake and less to do with the oiled-rag filter itself. I removed the resonators from my stock Nissan intake and noticed a "seat of the pants" improvement, but no improvement at all with my K&N panel filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Charts showed a 10 HP gain, just from the air intake alone.

Intake alone, not K&N. Removing the airbox often gives you a power increase do to less restriction, no matter what filter.

-T

Most of the gain was likely from the intake, not the filter. If the filter did play a role it was due to the possible much larger surface area (less restrictive).

Was the hood closed on the dyno test? I've seen similar "remarkable" imporovements on these intakes but with the hood open.....was it truly a COLD AIR intake, ie, from outside the engine compartment? Where was the intake air from?

My car gets a huge improvement from an intake, 6% but I won't use one for the reasons we're all aware of. Most of the gain comes from getting the A/F right. At WOT cars are usually conservatively rich and the intakes MAF placement can correct this. The rest comes from cooler air and a couple of HP from the filter. The driveability of my car actually goes down if your not racing with the same intake. Too lean at part throttle, worse response and less power at low rpm at any throttle position. I chipped it instead and got most of the HP gain with improvements in all other aspects to go with it.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
Most of the gain was likely from the intake, not the filter. If the filter did play a role it was due to the possible much larger surface area (less restrictive).

yeah I couldn't agree more. For instance by visual inspection what intake assembly do u think would be less restrictive on my car?

Choice one (stock. sorry for the dirty pic the previous owner had new property on a dirt road)

-

Choice two (aftermarket Cold air Intake which is currently on the car)

-

You sure they didn't pull the old Tornado trick (where the Impala SS one second has a stock intake tube and the next has a K&N FIPK?)

I've seen the Forced Induction crowds make pretty good HP just by switching.

Buffman, that setup looks great! Replace that with a quality paper filter and it would be perfect.

Buffman, the sheet metal work has an elegant simplicity to it. It is a commercially made unit or the work of a highly skilled sheet metal man?

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
Most of the gain comes from getting the A/F right. At WOT cars are usually conservatively rich and the intakes MAF placement can correct this. The rest comes from cooler air and a couple of HP from the filter.

I think almost all of the gain is from the change in intake tuning. Check out K&N's dyno graphs on their website. They cut them off around 3000 or 3500 rpm because below that the engines make more power and run more efficiently with the stock intake. Most people spend most of their time below 3000rpm. There's a reason factory intakes aren't designed like this; it isn't free horsepower, but I'm sure it's worth it for some people.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/typhoon.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back