Woo-wee! Just put on pantyhose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked for a decent price on a paper filter and found none. When I gave up and went to clean my K&N it was caked with bug bits and other nasties. Took a bit of time and effort to care for it. This time, I decided to take the extra step of sheathing it in nylon pantyhose to catch all the bigger thingies that would get embedded in the pleats. Maybe I can just replace the pantyhose at 6 months and not service (clean+oil) the filter everytime. I went 1 year/20k this time, too long. There was not tons of dirt, just debris. That same 1yr interval would work much better and be easier if all I did was replace the nylon once. Another plus is that the nylon catches any fresh oil droplets, keeping them off the MAF. This might work too for keeping paper filters in-service for the full 30k. Just re-do the pantyhose at 15k.

I normally just tap the filter so the bugs/large debris fall out. I've never had one long enough to clean it. I think I had the one in my last car about 30K miles.
I think thats why these filters usually show poor results. People clean them soon as they see a bit of dirt on them.

Advanced Flow Engineering, (AFE), used to, or still does sell what appears to be a Gortex "sock" to put over their K&N like filters. Now they have come out with a new filter series, called "Pro Guard 7" that is supposed to be the cat's meow. In their advertisement they show a white rag used to wipe the inside of the intake pipe coming out clean, versus the old filter that came out a little dirty.

I just put one on my Duramax. Makes the turbo whistle more.
cheers.gif

Audi Junkie,

I really like this idea! My '90 Saab's filter is a cylinder, so this would be a great addition to mine. My wife's '99 Saab's filter is a panel, so the nylon would cover the gasket. Since you mention capturing loose oil, is your filter also a panel?

quote:

Originally posted by 04SpecV:
... I think thats why these filters usually show poor results. People clean them soon as they see a bit of dirt on them.

I agree. They're only warrantied for 10 years or 25 cleanings, so if you're cleaning them once every 3 mos/3k mi, they're gonna break down fairly quickly.

cheers.gif

On the new (uprated
grin.gif
) cylinder filter I put on my shop vac, I rolled out some fiberglass mesh drywall reinforcing tape over the outside. Same principle, exclude larger particles before they are embedded in the pleats. The shop vac is an extreme case though. Also, the bugs and junk were too deep to just tap them off/out. I get a good deal on K&Ns, it was like $30-$35. I basicly only have to clean it once to break even. With the Phose, I will not have to process it as often. I can just change the Phose.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
I looked for a decent price on a paper filter and found none. When I gave up and went to clean my K&N it was caked with bug bits and other nasties. Took a bit of time and effort to care for it. This time, I decided to take the extra step of sheathing it in nylon pantyhose to catch all the bigger thingies that would get embedded in the pleats. Maybe I can just replace the pantyhose at 6 months and not service (clean+oil) the filter everytime. I went 1 year/20k this time, too long. There was not tons of dirt, just debris. That same 1yr interval would work much better and be easier if all I did was replace the nylon once. Another plus is that the nylon catches any fresh oil droplets, keeping them off the MAF. This might work too for keeping paper filters in-service for the full 30k. Just re-do the pantyhose at 15k.

Just hope the panty hose is no where near the rubber filter seal.

Been doing the "pantyhose" wrap on my K&N for a while now. In fact, when I was in the Army we would put pantyhose on the intakes of our unit vehicles to help keep desert dust out of the engines.
Well, just today my girlfriend helped me out with my K&N cone filter by providing me with a (as she says a "darling") pair of PINK knee high panty hose.

I figured what the h***, it still works.....

But I AIN'T opening the hood in public.
smile.gif

Have used paint filters on foam and K@N filters and on other projects. They are sewn with elastic on one end to go over a bucket or can, come in different sizes so you often find one that fits as is. Home depot.

Also have used coarse foam shop vac prefilter preformed pods with success on one size K&N cone style filter.

quote:

Originally posted by JavaMan:
The combination of pantyhose and air filters may have multiple applicatons.

Double entendre
lol.gif

I run an Accel Kool Blue, and use Klotz products to clean and oil it twice a year. 4 years running now, no problems. The Klotz products are in big cans, and cheaper than K&N by far. The Kool Blue was very reasonable from Summit Racing.

Couldnt you just take the panty hose and put them over the intake to the air box? that way you dont mess with the seal in the box, and keep all the crap out of the box too... I guess you may have to change it a little more often though... just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back