Oil on air filter (Nissan Sentra)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm

I drive a nissan sentra with a QG16DE engine.
I just changed my air filter (p/n 16546-V0100) which was in the car from day one. Mileage is at 24,000 km. I noticed the entire filter was covered with oil, not dripping but if you run you fingers through it, you get quite a bit of oil on your fingers. But the inner walls of the air box is has no oil.

The filter was taken out and cleaned at 15,000 km but there was no oil then. Is this normal ? Any comments from fellow sentra owners ? Thanks.

dm

I don't have a Nissan but my Buick's air filter was oily too @10000km. Don't know wether it was like this from the beginning or not. It was "clear" oil, just enough to feel it but not enough to drip. The engine side of the air intake is clean. Strange!

quote:

Originally posted by New:
my Buick's air filter was oily too @10000km. Don't know wether it was like this from the beginning or not.

If your Buick has the original Delco filter in it, the oil you noticed was normal. Delco filters are lightly oiled after they are made. I suppose this is to help them filter better. AFAIK, Nissan doesn't oil their air filters.

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:
AFAIK, Nissan doesn't oil their air filters.

Yep, the new nissan filter (p/n 16546-74S00) I put in is the dry paper type, no oil on it.

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:
Sounds like you might have an inoperative PCV valve.

Went to check with car dealer. They showed me 2 types of filter:
- 16546-74S00 (old type, dry paper, no oil, with metal frame). They don't use this type anymore.
- 16546-V0100 (new type, paper but with oil on it, paper frame). They are using this type now and according to them, this traps dirt better, need to be change only at 40k km intervals.

So it's normal, oil is originally there on the filter and not because of faulty PCV valve ... *phew*
smile.gif

I must have mistaken it to be the dry type (like my old B14 sentra) at 15k km when the filter was cleaned by the mechanic.

Sorry for raising this issue.
grin.gif

This is bizarre, as the new QG18 and QR25 (and whatever eles it fits) the gilter comes lightly pre oiled on the paper element. I was astounded to see such a design.
Myself... I run a NAPA Gold no oil. The MAF sensors on the newer cars are sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back