FRAM Air Hog...does it filter better then K&N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if anyone knew if the new FRAM Air Hog filters any better then the K&N and equivlents. The reason why i have stuck with paper filters are for the filtering ability, because i run extended drain intervals.

I have noticed some people have said they dont see as much light through a FRAM Air Hog compared to a K&N, but that really doesnt justify my question. Does anyone have any information yet?

I don't see how the fram could possibly be any worse than the k&n. with the name fram, you know it has to be a quality piece.

Hopefully you are being sarcastic got boost?
wink.gif

I don't think it would be any better. The Team Green ones do look interesting to me though. They have a more dense, stonger material.

-T

now these filters are poping out of no where at walmart. they do have a cleaning kit and a re-oiling kit. so basically its the same as k & n. maybe the sturdyness of the filter itself is better than k & n but as filtration is concerned i dont know. they are a bit cheaper than k & n though.

Well, of course since FRAM has had a reputation for oil filter problems in the past, their air filters must obviously be a complete joke as well, right? How could anything made by FRAM ever be better than anything else?
tongue.gif
BTW, those comments are directed towards one, and only one, person.

Anyway, I did purchase one for my wife's Grand Am. Both the K&N and FRAM Air Hog are available at my local Pep Boys. When I compared the two, the FRAM seemed to be a much stronger, better built design. The one thing I like the most about it was that the pleats ran vertical (more, shorter) instead of horizontal (fewer, longer) as on the K&N design. This just seems to be a much sturdier design to me. Does this have an effect on air flow or filtering? I have no idea, but it was something I took into account. Maybe the sturdier design would allow the filter to hold up better over time, resulting in better filtering ability? Price for each was comparable.

I just installed an Accel Kool Blue filter in my Focus. There is no Air Hog for my application, and because I've used K&N in the past, I wanted to try something different. The literature that comes with the Kool Blue filter states that it outflows all other cotton gauze or foam filters. Who knows. It would seem to me that all the cotton gauze filters (K&N, FRAM Air Hog, Accel Kool Blue, Holley PowerShot, and AFE) are probably pretty much the same, except for the color they are, which is dependant upon the oil. Each one also probably claims they outflow the competition. If there is any independent lab testing done, I haven't heard of it. I do know the AFE has some of the deepest pleats of all, but I've also heard bad things about their filters.
dunno.gif

I know this doesn't really answer the original question, but hopefully it gives you something else to think about.

ZiTS

[ June 26, 2004, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

I just purchased a green cone filter for the intake on my Blazer. I like the filter,the computer had to adjust to the "new" airflow. So far I am happy with its performance.

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
Well, of course since FRAM has had a reputation for oil filter problems in the past, their air filters must obviously be a complete joke as well, right? How could anything made by FRAM ever be better than anything else?
tongue.gif
BTW, those comments are directed towards one, and only one, person.

ZiTS

Ooh, is it me?

Seriously, it's a legitimate argument, that if one of a companies product lines is inferior that another may be as well.

I don't doubt that the Fram Air Hog may be of higher quality then K&N's, especially their drop in filters. I've certainly not been too impressed with the one I bought. Although I have had it for years, the seal has come apart possibly allowing dirty air into the engine. This is one area where K&N definitely needs improvement. My clamp-on seems to be fine.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back