Is it the consensus of the Board not to use K&N Air Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the oil filters
smile.gif

But after reading all the 'elevated' Si levels which are blamed on the K&N air filter....

I am thinking of tossing mine and moving to a premium Baldwin/Donaldson or Wix.

Is Foam just as bad cotton?

Do you forsee these Si levels as seriously lowering an engines life?

most people improperly use a k&n filter so their wear levels in the oil may be higher.

i have used one for 60K miles and my carborator throat is awalys spotless. even when i put double sided foam tape on the inside of the filter on top of the carb throat, it was awalys clean.

What Ive seen is this:

-My truck (4.3L) has a K&N (which has been installed for I guess 15-20K now), and gives me Si levels of 12ppm at 3100 mi.

-My mothers car (2.0L) has a stock element in it. She gets 11 ppm over 4500 mi or so.

Both vehicles are driven around town/highway.
I figure my truck takes in probably twice as much air, and all the Si should go into the oil. But, extrtapolating out to 4500 mi, I wouldnt get approximately twice as much Si as my mother's car, as I would expect.
So, I think the K&N element is doing its job. I dont know that Id use one with a turbo (my 83 MB turbodiesel, for example), as I fear that the extra 'force' pulling air in, as provided by the turbo, may cause more contaminates to come in (that car gets 22ppm over 4k miles with a stock (huge) element.

JMH

Do a UOA and see if your K&N application is working well or not. Even if the silicon is high, consider adding a foam prefilter. K&N sell both custom fitted foams and a general use foam for cutting to fit.

Keith.

It's really up to you to decide. I don't think that on average the K&Ns filter as good as a "good" paper filter. I also don't think that the elevated Si levels that are associated with the use of a K&N absolutely means significantly more engine wear. I will say it bothers me but then again, I have a cotton gauze filter of some sort {K&N or Holley} on every vehicle I own.

Here is something to think about. If you are simply replaceing your stock filter with a stock replacement K&N, I dont think the performance gain is worth the trouble especially when you factor in the questionable filtering ability. Example, my 2000 Firehawk gains nothing at all when I swap filters at the track. On the other hand I can completly remove the filter and I consistantly see a increase in MPH {bout half a mph}. I run a Holley because the filter gets wet with my induction setup. I feel that the oiled type filter work better in this situation.

I use a K&N replacement filter in my 83 Blazer and my 85 Mustang but I also use a pre-filter. In both cases, the previous owner had installed the K&N and I added the prefilter. I would not have actually bought the K&N for either, it was there and I wasn't going to throw it away.

In my Rio, I use a home brew cold air induction with a cone type K&N. I would not have run a K&N replacement in this application because I really don't think it would have gained me any HP. If I didn't see any gains I sure would not have paid the extra bucks for maybe less filtering ability. I saw gains because I chucked the stock airbox and placed the filter in a spot that is getting cooler air. I also run a prefilter on this car too.

It's really your choice to make.

Use a K&N mysef in a V6 motor, however been told to stay away from them on turbo vehicles (200sx) due to the higher airflows that may draw the oil onto the Air Flow meter and wreak it. I think also most problems have been caused by damaging the filter element whilst cleaning or over oiling.

Put one in my fathers Santa Fe recently and definately improves the driveability. Don't think there has been any significant change in fuel consumption.

quote:

But after reading all the 'elevated' Si levels which are blamed on the K&N air filter....

Where, pray tell, did you read that???

I've seen some high silicon levels but not many have been directly attributed to the use of a K&N air filter.

AND YES most problems occur when you clean them. What is the solution? Don't clean them until its absolutely necessary. Tap and gently gently gently brush every once in awhile. You'll find that most debris comes right off. Its the dirt, sand, and pollen that sticks into the element.

In NJ, I pretty much have to buy new paper airfilters 1-2 times a year because of how much dirt there is in the air and how restrictive the paper filter becomes once it starts clogging.

The K&N retains much of its flow even when its dirty, so don't clean it often!!!

I have a K&N on my Bronco, and it does very well. There's no dust at all in the area downstream of the filter. When using paper filters, I did find dust.....

Using proper maintenence is the key in how well they perform. Use the correct cleaner and oil. I have heard of people washing them in detergent, rinsing them with a water hose, and then drying them with compressed air. Then they wonder why the Silicon levels were high......
pat.gif

I personally don't bother with K&N. They are easy to over-oil, which can foul up your mass air sensor.

Any performance gain from it is so small that it's not worth it to me. I have more peace of mind with a good quality paper filter changed out once a year or so.

I had a K&N and now have the Amsoil foam. Silicon levels with both were in the high teens low 20's. That's not too bad but silicon levels of around 10 or lower would be nice. I just ordered a Baldwin air filter today. I'll post my opinion on the Baldwin when I install it as far as construction, air flow and engine performance. Just changed my oil so I will be doing an oil analysis with 6000 miles on the oil with the Baldwin....8 months from now.

I've owned 2 K&N's and will not own a 3rd. I always found grit after the filter. No, not oil. No, they weren't overoiled. No, I didn't clean them too often and ruin them, I never cleaned them. One was on for approximately 30K, the other much less. That said, if I was racing and needed to screen out big stuff and wasn't worried about long-term durability, I'd run one, can't argue with more flow in that situation.

I've run a K&N air filter in my stock airbox for the past couple of years. Si readings on my last two oil analyses were: 6 ppm, in 6,000 miles; and 10 ppm in 9,300 miles.

HI-

I own a K&N FIPK, and all the problems associated with this filtration system are caused by user damage. I've even emailed K&N (Lisa Sutton) about the so called problems with their unit's ability to filter. She sent me many test confirming the ability of these units. I have no problem using their product on my moderately modified engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back