4-stroke string trimmer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Anyone else have one? I picked a troybilt up from SLowes a couple days ago to replace my ~7yr old, $50 weedeater 'featherlight' (that's still going): http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_92353_18652_-1 Lowes sells them for ~$164, plus I had a $10 off coupon. I've only clocked about 30min on her, but it seems like a nice little machine so far. The little MTD 4-stroke has a totally different mellow sound than your typical 2 stroker. Kinda sounds like a little ATV in your hands. Starts easily, power is good, weight feels the same to me as a 2 cycle, vibs the same. Fuel consumption is amazing as is the no stink exhaust & no smoke! The little OHV engine is kinda neat. It has a little ~3oz oil sump with a thread in dipstick/oil fill/oil drain port. It's got a little valve cover up top that removes with one screw so you can check & adjust valve lash. The instructions for that are right in the ops manual. Carb has a manual choke, primer bulb and an idle speed screw. She's got a big'ol muffler that exits out the bottom/rear with a servicable screen spark arrestor. Only thing I wish it had was a clutch. She's direct drive. I guess that's reflected in the reasonable price. I would have loved to get a honda trimmer, but couldn't justify the ~$400+ base price. Oh yeah.. she came with a little 3oz squeeze bottle of MTD 30wt! I'll change out the liquid sprarkles after a cpl uses. I'll probably refill with Shell RT 5w-40. These babies run HOT.

G/luck
Joel

I don't know that I could bring myself to use a 4-stroker weed trimmer. The biggest reason is I like to turn mine on a 90° angle to edge the driveway and sidewalk, and with an oil sump, I'd be running the risk of oil starvation.

Not to mention, I like the high-revving crackle of a little 2-stroker, and the smoke/smell to me is actually somewhat pleasant. Mobil 1 MX2T delivers a nice smell compared to most 2-stroke oils. The simplicity of a 2-stroke engine is another reason in favor of it. There's very little to break, so longevity I'm sure is going to be much higher.

Same way as with my Lawn-Boy 2-strokers...You'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead fingers before I'll ever run 4-stroke versions of the same products.

My Stihl FS56 has been the best weed trimmer I've ever used. Starts on the first or second pull every time, and never misses a beat. Money well spent.

The old Ryobi 31cc trimmer that I "hotrodded" a while back is too noisy to use at home, so I brought it out to the shop to dink around with...It's a blast! This thing has so much torque, it'll twist itself out of your hands if you're not careful with it. But it's LOUD! The muffler has been gutted completely, so it's nothing more that a empty can with a hole in the bottom of it. I did some pretty interesting port work to it, and now it's a little tricky to start...If you don't catch it just right, it'll kick back so hard it darn near snaps your wrist! It sure is fun though! Just putting around the shop trimming with it is a giggle...Its wonderful "BRRRRAAAAPP pop popp popp" exhaust note is reminiscent of a highly modded snowmobile engine.

Yes, you can’t argue a 4-cycles superiority in a string trimmer application. 2 strokes currently win out in power, weight, simplicity and probably longevity. I bought the 4-stroke basically as a novelty, and something to replace my weed-eater that is too small for my needs. I wouldn’t expect a Cadillac for ~$160 in any configuration. I personally hate getting saturated in 2-cycle stink after a few minutes of trimming. You dont get that with the 4. These micro 4-strokes are young yet. It won’t be long before that’s all you will be able to buy (new).

G/luck
Joel

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
I don't know that I could bring myself to use a 4-stroker weed trimmer. The biggest reason is I like to turn mine on a 90° angle to edge the driveway and sidewalk, and with an oil sump, I'd be running the risk of oil starvation.

My Ryobi has a coupling midway down the shaft that allows the head to be rotated 90° CW or CCW to the engine. A good feature IMO based on your statement.

I just bought a 40cc 4-stroke weed trimmer from Sears. The little engine is made by Briggs & Stratton and is quite a bit more powerful than the 2-stroke Ryobi it replaced. The only drawback I see, so far, is the weight. This thing is heavy, maybe half again the weight of the little Ryobi. Cuts like the dickens though and I'm getting buff just trimming the yard, LOL.

I am in the market of a weed wacker and am looking at gettin a four stroke. I want to ask you about your experiences and advice? I was wondering what are the drawbacks and what are the advantages? What about operation at angles and grades that these machines are operated at? What are the choose oils to use? I know they have huge oil sumps of like what two, three, maybe four ounces. Just because of that reason syn is a must for me. What weights should I use? I have a few quarts of M1 T&S 5W-40. Would this oil be good or not? I was thinking about using RL oils. Would that be better? For something like this price is not a consideration. What about break-in? I was planning on using a straight thirty weight, but don't have any on hand. I have tons of 15W-40 though. Would that be be ok for break-in? What about oci's? I am planning during the first few hours really, really short oci's. Maybe as short as half an hour since it wouldn't be expencive. Would that be ok? Thanks in advanced for the your feedback, suggestions, and advice.

kc

Advantages?
1) No mixing 2 cycle fuel
2) Little/no exhaust stink
3) Less fuel consumption...

Disadvantages?
1) Weight
2) Engine complexity
3) Less power/weight ratio?...

As far as the angle of operation thing, I don't think my ops manual states anything in regards to that, but the way the sump is mounted on mine , I dont see how oil starvation could be an issue unless you ran it upside down for an extended period. I dumped the 'factory' SAE30 after about 45min run time & refilled with Shell R-T 5w-40 that I had on hand. IMO, any 30 or 40wt would be fine as dumping and refilling ~3oz of oil is super cheap and easy! Overall I really like my ~$160 troy-bilt trimmer. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd buy a honda 4-stroke trimmer. They've been in the micro 4-stroke OPE business the longest AFAIK and feel very well built.

G/luck
Joel

For the money spent on one Honda, you could buy two top of the line Stihls, Echos, or Husqvarnas.

Honda may be good, but not that good to justify the exuberant cost, IMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
For the money spent on one Honda, you could buy two top of the line Stihls, Echos, or Husqvarnas.

Honda may be good, but not that good to justify the exuberant cost, IMHO.

True, however if you are looking for a 4 stroke trimmer, Honda makes a great little engine. Surprises me every time I use it, even after 7 years!

Here is a link to more on the engine's technology
http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/engines/gxseries/mini4/html/4stroke.htm

quote:

Originally posted by JR:
thank you

no problem. Check out the model with the number 25 in it. That means the CC of the engine. I have the UMK422LTA, so mine must be 22cc. More than enough power. The 31cc model ones are for bigger jobs.

quote:

Originally posted by JR:
I am in the market of a weed wacker and am looking at gettin a four stroke. I want to ask you about your experiences and advice? I was wondering what are the drawbacks and what are the advantages? What about operation at angles and grades that these machines are operated at? What are the choose oils to use? I know they have huge oil sumps of like what two, three, maybe four ounces. Just because of that reason syn is a must for me. What weights should I use? I have a few quarts of M1 T&S 5W-40. Would this oil be good or not? I was thinking about using RL oils. Would that be better? For something like this price is not a consideration. What about break-in? I was planning on using a straight thirty weight, but don't have any on hand. I have tons of 15W-40 though. Would that be be ok for break-in? What about oci's? I am planning during the first few hours really, really short oci's. Maybe as short as half an hour since it wouldn't be expencive. Would that be ok? Thanks in advanced for the your feedback, suggestions, and advice.

kc

Honda uses a paddle of sorts that is connected to the crank that keeps the oil in a constant misted state. You can run it upside down and nothing will happen. I have tried it with mine on several occasions, and it still runs fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
Honda uses a paddle of sorts that is connected to the crank that keeps the oil in a constant misted state. You can run it upside down and nothing will happen. I have tried it with mine on several occasions, and it still runs fine.

Same deal with the little MTD. The connecting rod has a slinger. It doesn't have a camshaft, it's a gear driven wheel of sorts that the pushrods ride on and are actuated by called a "cam bracket assembly". That gear also runs thru the oil, throwing oil to the top end. Supposedly the design is such that you can run the engine loaded in any position. Again, I'm not trying to go OT pushing a 4-cycle as best for this application. It's just nice to have a cleaner, smokeless alternative should you want it.
patriot.gif

G/luck
Joel

I have had a shindiawa since 1999 and it has been flawless. Best starting 2 stroke anything that I have ever had. It cost a little more but its worth it imo. Cant say the same for my stihl blower.

If you want a 4stroke trimmer the only way to go is Honda. The Troybuilt is a Ryobi unit and are not very good. The Briggs is not the best either.

You can not buy 2 top of the line Stihl, Husky or Echo trimmers for the price of a Honda. Husky and Stihl make units that cost $1k. The 326L Husky sells at $329, the Stihl FS100 sells for about the same. For $315 you can get a Honda 25cc 4stroke.

Neither the Ryobi/Troybuilt or the Briggs will have the power of the 25cc Honda!

quote:

Originally posted by NThomas:
If you want a 4stroke trimmer the only way to go is Honda...

NT- I agree that honda currently makes the best mini 4 stroker, but for light residential use the troy-bilt isn't bad for half the cost of a ~$325 honda trimmer. From what I've found, the $325 models are tough to find locally. Pretty much have to mail-order one unless you want to order thru a honda dealer.

Joel

Lets see if you feel the same in 10 years.

I have found that most people spend a lot on trimmers. Not by buying an expensive unit, but buying them frequently. If you buy a good one there is no reason you shouldnt get 20-30 years out of it. Those cheap units generally last well under 10 years. The $325 trimmer isnt very expensive when you look at it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back