Best brands of weed trimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,
Just wanted some of your input on the brands of weed trimmers you use.
I have a WeedEater that I've had for about 3 years and its now in the shop because of hard starting/flooding. Getting the fealing that W.Eater is turning out to be a P0S...
banghead.gif

The shop I took it to suggested it MAY not be worth fixing, they have Husqvarna, I've heard of Sthil, Echo...
What are the makes worth buying..??
Thanks
Jean

I have a Husqvarna weed trimmer and leaf blower and cannot find fault with either. The 3 mentioned are all good products, but if your local shop carry's Husky, I would get it. You want to be able to get service if you need it.

I use a Stihl -- which my dad had for at least 15 years. It still runs like a champ. The local dealer stated the engine will last forever -- as long as you keep mixing the gas. It usually starts before the 5th pull -- no matter the age of gas, or how long it set.

I have a 325"?" Husqvarna I purchased new .I have used it for 6 years and use it for trimming the yard plus 3 acres and some ditches . I love it starts on the second pull after sitting for 3 months during the winter. I would bet any of the "Commercial" brands will be better than the household brandsin the lond run.

Anecdotal, but I just had to take my FiL's Craftsman trimmer in to be serviced under the extended warranty he bought with it for failure to start. Only 6 mos. old, gas didn't sit in it for more than 2 mos.
thumbsdown.gif

My Craftsman lawn mower is a piece too.
thumbsdown.gif

My vote would go for any of the Echo products. I have their ES-2100 leaf blower and SRM-210 string trimmer. Both start easily and run on the same 50:1 mix. I'm currently running on Mobil MX2T mix, which is a sweet 2 stroke oil, but I will probably go back to the Echo Power Blend oil because it smells a lot better (all BITOGERS are allowed their fair share of oil related quirks).

Click "search", type in "trimmer", set it to search the "Lawn and Small Engine" forum, and set it to search in "Subject Only". Tons of stuff.

I have a Cub Cadet trimmer, and love it.

quote:

Originally posted by johnsmith:
Click "search", type in "trimmer", set it to search the "Lawn and Small Engine" forum, and set it to search in "Subject Only". Tons of stuff.

I have a Cub Cadet trimmer, and love it.

I guess I was too specific.. I typed -weed timmers- and got 5 or 6 lines. Thanks J.

I just got a Stihl FS-46 last year and it starts easily, runs quietly and is easy to use. About $185.00 from what I can remember VA tax incl. Ebay may be a good place to get a discount.

Since you are a Honda person might i recommend a Honda string trimmer? I have the UMK 431 (or something like that) 4 stroke 31c trimmer and although it is heavier and costlier than the others, I marvel at the 4 stroke no oil, less pollution aspect of it. had mine for the second season so far and trimming is now my favorite part of the yard work.

I have the Honda UMK422LTA. Going on the 7th season with only oil changes.
This year I figured I would treat it to a new spark plug,fuel filter, air filter, and trimmer head -to the tune of $40 for everything (OEM Honda parts too) delivery included!

www.planopower.com

I have a 10 year old Echo. It runs great. I change the air filter and fuel filter and spark plug frequently. When the air filter gets a little dusty, I change it all. I use a racing 2-stroke oil and mix it at 60 to 1. I have a small container and figured out the ratio a long time ago and just repeat it.

One habit I have using it, is to keep the engine really buzzing and don't let it lug down. I think the higher tip speed cuts better and the engine cools better when it's spinning. I don't think you can over rev these little engines.

I'm a big echo fan... but I recently bought a stihl chainsaw (got a deal), and a husqvarna 323L weed trimmer (same). The husqvarna actually has too much power for the applications in my relatively small yard. I kind of wish it didnt have a clutch, as idle speed is about all the poiwer I need.

All the same, its a great machine, and the faults I have Ill learn to get around and are my issues, not problems with the machine. Id buy another in an instant!

JMH

husqvarna. no plug or air filter cleaning ever. starts easy and runs hard. i use a light string for around the house stuff. the husq titanium string cuts and mars too much. i'd buy another one any time.

In conclusion..
I took home the Stihl FS38 this afternoon.
Got a great deal on it too..
Regular price was 199.00(CAD), just before picking it up...I heard a radio promo saying some local dealers had it for 169.00 PLUS the 20.00 mail-in rebate. That deal pushed me for the Stihl over the Husqy.
Thanks
J

Congrats on your new Stihl. One thing- check your spark plug. If it's a Bosch, save yourself some trouble & replace it with a Champion. My Stihl came new with a Bosch plug, ran OK for a couple of hours, & then became a real PITA to start, especially when warm. I replaced the Bosch with a Champion plug, & no problems since.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back