Briggs 3.5 HP push mower engine power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if a briggs 3.5 HP push mower engine would have enough power to drive a riding mower.

-
 -
 -
 -

It pops wheelies and has plenty of pulling power, if I pull on something too heavy, instead of stalling it will just spins the rear tires. In 5th gear, it goes about 10 mph(could go faster with different pullys/belts). I run mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in this engine because it gets VERY HOT. What do you guys think? Have I completely lost it?

you know you could get a .25 hp increase and better mpg with GC and a shot of vsot,arx cycle,fp,lc,lucas ucl and a modified amsoil ea filter. the header design is questionable but you could add a nice 4" tip to really add some hp..
jk... i couldnt resist. i've always liked homemade contraptions and mods. esp if it was done for fun like this. the 3.5 in some of the kids gocarts can really move out on some of them. this is pretty cool.

How hard was it to do that?
grin.gif
I've been contemplating the same thing.... have a couple spare 3.5's as well. One 3.5 briggs quantum, one classic.
Though I'd probablly go for more hp and throw a apposed twin double thumper in place of the old and tired 12 horse.

Looks like fun. I wouldn't really classify that as a "riding mower" anymore. It's probably not much heavier than a push mower...

80caprice, if you have the correct pulley, its not too hard to do. Just don't try it with a tiny/light pulley, the engine wont start and you will hurt your arm trying to start it. You need to use a pulley from a riding mower with enough weight to keep the engine spinning so it will start(took me a while to find a few pullys that would work). Use washers where needed to get everything where it should be. Before drilling mounting holes make sure the engine is positioned where pulley will engage the belt. Mount the torque monster 3.5 HP motor and have some fun.

kkreit01 , its still pretty heavy, loading it into my minivan was not fun, its over 100lbs for sure.

Years ago, I had an el-cheapo riding mower with a B&S 5hp, and it cut grass OK, but rather slowly. Much slower than with a push mower, but it would pop a wheelie with the right technique.
grin.gif

years ago i did the same thing with a riding lawnmower, only i used the original engine. i put a small pulley on the trans axle, and a large one on the engine, which resulted in about a 25mph speed. i pulled the mower deck off as well as the hood and the thing was a blast to ride around on. i could do wheelies for about 1/4 of a mile using a combo of clutch/brake and a throttle lever.

heres a pic of me riding a wheelie on my gutted mower. in this pic m doin about 15mph.
 -

That's hilarious. Looks like a great time if you can't afford a $7K ATV. Hopefully you put a wheelie bar on that thing!

i paid cash for a brand new 350 banshee atv 2 months ago so i can afford an atv no problem.

the lawnmower, it just a fun side thing to mess with. theres no wheelie bars on the mower. when you tip it too far back you just fall out of the seat and onto the grass. the lower shuts offr when theres no pressure on the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back