What is the advantage of big wheel push mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious mainly. They a look little disproportional with the small wheels in front, and the large wheels in back, but I assume there must be a good reason behind the idea.
dunno.gif

ditto. I loved mine. made pushing up hills a breeze. I wish I would of got the beg wheel on my troy. oh well I just use it for trimming after I got my DEERE riding mower.

They can do regular mowing as well or better than small wheel mowers. I mowed 3 acres with them for years before I wore out and got a rider. They handle rough terrain by being able to push down on the handle and lift the blade deck on the run. Now I use them for trim and heavy cutting of light brush. I'm going tomorrow to get the 6 1/2 h/p B/S Key 24" inch blade self propelled with 20" bicycle tires to replace the recently deceased 9 h/p Johnson Big Wheel. I love new toys! Downside is increased expense and some higher risk of injury which is why they are generally considered commercial rather than consumer items. I think.

If you are talking a regular residential size (21"?)push mower, I see no advantage. We had one years ago as a trim mower for our 2.5acres. It was a dynamark IIRC. Total ***. The rear axle assembly & brackets were junk, causing the rear wheels to be wobble. Horrible to manuever. Had to eventually fab up an axle with threaded rod for it. The thing was scrapped well before it should have been. If you want to get a hi wheel. Make sure it's commercial grade quality!

Joel

In March I "downgraded" from self propelled to a big wheel push mower. The new one is lighter, faster and easier to turn.

Now I need to upgrade to a paper element air filter, if that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back