What oil would you recommend for a Briggs Animal kart motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is going to be racing in a stock Briggs & Stratton Animal class this year and I wonder what you guys would suggest for the best oil to use. Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil or any other ideas. I'm not concerned about gaining that extra .1 second per lap, I 'm more concerned with reliability. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Macnit, any of those three would be fine ... but since this motor is going to be pressed hard, I'd change it fairly frequently ... and that means once per race weekend.

The main reason is that there's no oil filter to catch the wear particles as they enter the oil. You want to flush them out of there before they do too much more damage.

So, I'd opt for Red Line's racing 30 weight. If you use Mobil 1 or (especially) Amsoil, I'd consider an additive to bolster the moly content of the oil.

I'd also look for a magnetic drain plug to catch as much Iron as you can ... but this still won't help with the aluminum wear.

Keeping an eye on the amount of metal being flushed out of the motor may also give you a heads-up if the motor is about to have some catastrophic failure or seizure ... but maybe not.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I would also put in there German Castrol 0w-30 very good oil there. put it in my rush mower and the engine runs smooth. this oil has a great adds package right out the bottle. M-1 can tend to be on the thin side. Redline can cost alot. GC is almost a 40wt oil. so would prob be good for your application. in the end use whatever you want. after all its your motor and not ours lol.

Macnit, you said you weren't interested in that last tenth of performance so I suggested a 30 weight oil. Mobil 1's XW-30s are close to a 25 weight, so you might prefer that as slightly thinner ... but Red Line makes a straight 20 weight race oil ... which also has a mega-dose of moly.

German Castrol 0W-30 might be fine (might also be too thick) but for a high-load application such as racing, I prefer a heavy anti-wear additive package and that means high doses of ZDDP and/or moly & boron.

That's why I'd opt for the Red Line Oils in these applications. Not cheap, but a small price when you add up all the costs of racing ... even amateur karting.

--- Bror Jace

well you can always buy the oil you want to try and run practice laps and see which ones preform the best. then use that oil. maybe expensive but you wont have to guess which is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back