What are these cables to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my heater core replaced by a local shop I trust and noticed that these two cables were almost hanging out from the panel they were behind as I was rerouting my dash cam cables again. Hoping they were just from some accessory I did not have I ignored them until I was done with the cables. When I got the cables routed I started up my car again and noticed my dash cam did not come on. Guess the cables might not be from accessories I don't have. Are these two cables somehow related to the cigarette plug lighter? Maybe they just forgot to plug them back in? That'd be my guess but I figure why not get an opinion before I bring it back in to the shop. Hopefully the picture is good enough that someone can recognize it.

cables to what.JPG

The multi-pin plug on the left that you are holding looks like a cable to the radio head unit from a satellite radio receiver or possibly from your backup camera. The thick coax cable on the right of the photo is unmistakably the antenna cable that needs to be plugged into the back of the radio. I bet you can't get any radio reception either. Time to take it back to the shop so they can fix it.

Agree.

The one on the right is definitely a Motorola connector used for car antennas.

The round DIN-style were often used for car audio peripherals, like CD changers.

I just now tried the radio and it works, also the cd player, it works. My car used to have a cd changer back before I got it. That was way back in 2002. I should have said it is a 1999 eclipse so no sirius. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by 99Eclipse
I just now tried the radio and it works, also the cd player, it works. My car used to have a cd changer back before I got it. That was way back in 2002. I should have said it is a 1999 eclipse so no sirius. Thanks for the reply.

Probably for a trunk mounted CD unit, look around you will probably find the other end. Its possible the OE antenna was changed (possibly even with another OE) and they just clipped the end off and left the cable with its connector under there. No idea really just tossing it out there.

Well, darn it! Not the words I used though. Seems the dash cam plug broke where it plugs into the lighter. Maybe that is why the dash cam doesn't work.

Two minutes later, I now just plugged something else into the cigarette lighter to power it and it does work for that.

Looks like I need a new dash cam cable but may not need to bring it into the shop. I may tell them about the connectors just in case though while I order another cable.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Glad I always doubt myself and get second opinions. Would have looked pretty stupid bringing it back in with a broken dash cam cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back