Moly question about walmart oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say walmart oils, I mean Supertech, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobile 1, etc. (oil readily available at your local shop)

I know everyone always says to stick to your car manufacturers recommended spec i.e. 0w20 full syn in my case, but just wondering what 'over the counter' oil brand has the most moly content. I have a 2013 Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0 and my first change I used M1 AFE and am about to change it with Idimetsu 0w20 (not the high moly count one). Do I NEED to stick with something with a moderate amount of moly for the skyactiv motors?

No. You can run any major brand of oil in your Mazda. There are also different forms of moly so because one oil has 100ppm and another has 700ppm means very little.

Lots of good info here in the Motor Oil University

Pennzoil Platinum 0w-40 (Dodge SRT branded stuff) has a bunch of moly, 200-300ppm. Chevron Supreme / Havoline Deposit Shield is probably top dog when it comes to moly content in a conventional oil.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Does Mobil 1 AFE actually improve fuel economy?
Are there other similar synthetic oils that also claim to get better MPG?

It's marketing. An oil's effect on fuel economy is minuscule. Keep your tires properly inflated and a little less lead foot go much further in increasing fuel economy.

Originally Posted by PimTac

It's marketing. An oil's effect on fuel economy is minuscule. Keep your tires properly inflated and a little less lead foot go much further in increasing fuel economy.

To an extent. I'll share my experience. I have a 2014 Tacoma Reg cab 4x4 2.7l 4 speed automatic. From the factory 159hp. With that 4 speed auto it's pretty sluggish. It'll do 75 on the highway, just takes a while to get there.

Bought it used with 68,000 miles. Ran it on 0w20 for 5k miles then switched to 5w30. Not only a noticeable difference in acceleration, but noticeably more foot in the pedal just to keep it at speed. Felt like I was pulling a trailer.

That lasted about 200 miles before I had all I could take. Switched back to 0w20 and all was good. (For what it is) Do I have proof of reduction in gas mileage? No I don't, but from the way it was driving there HAD to be a reduction

in gas mileage and I feel a fairly significant one. (maybe I'll try it again someday)

I'm just saying it all depends on the vehicle. I would guess the more HP an engine has, or more power-to-weight ratio of the vehicle, the less viscosity would affect performance and gas mileage.

In theory it can make a difference during the warmup phase because it's a 0W grade and will allow for less resistance between moving parts but once at operating temperature the fuel economy thing doesn't matter, it's all on the driver.

Originally Posted by dippschtick

To an extent. I'll share my experience. I have a 2014 Tacoma Reg cab 4x4 2.7l 4 speed automatic. From the factory 159hp. With that 4 speed auto it's pretty sluggish. It'll do 75 on the highway, just takes a while to get there.

Bought it used with 68,000 miles. Ran it on 0w20 for 5k miles then switched to 5w30. Not only a noticeable difference in acceleration, but noticeably more foot in the pedal just to keep it at speed. Felt like I was pulling a trailer.

That lasted about 200 miles before I had all I could take. Switched back to 0w20 and all was good. (For what it is) Do I have proof of reduction in gas mileage? No I don't, but from the way it was driving there HAD to be a reduction

in gas mileage and I feel a fairly significant one. (maybe I'll try it again someday)

I'm just saying it all depends on the vehicle. I would guess the more HP an engine has, or more power-to-weight ratio of the vehicle, the less viscosity would affect performance and gas mileage.

I was thinking with the same grade of oil.

Btw, I had a 96 Tacoma with that same 2.7 and the 4 speed auto. That engine may not be a speed monster but it's a very durable motor. I used to haul full loads of wood, pellets, gravel, you name it. That is a workhorse if a engine.

I was thinking with the same grade of oil.

Btw, I had a 96 Tacoma with that same 2.7 and the 4 speed auto. That engine may not be a speed monster but it's a very durable motor. I used to haul full loads of wood, pellets, gravel, you name it. That is a workhorse if a engine.

Gotcha. I guess I could have read the question you responded to a little better. Not sure what I was thinking.
33.gif

Anyhow, I do agree about the durability of the engine itself. I don't think I could blow it up if I tried.

Thanks for all of the replies & comments. I guess I should have asked my question a bit differently.

Does Mobil 1 0W20 "AFE" allow for better fuel economy than other Mobil 1 0W20 oils or other brands of 0W20?
[yes, I do believe that it's mostly marketing but, I'm asking anyway]

And yes, we certainly do keep the tires properly inflated and drive responsibly. This gives us our best fuel economy on a regular basis.
smile.gif

However, I feel my question may have hijacked the thread and for that, I must apologize to the OP-jayjr1105.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
When I say walmart oils, I mean Supertech, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobile 1, etc. (oil readily available at your local shop)

I know everyone always says to stick to your car manufacturers recommended spec i.e. 0w20 full syn in my case, but just wondering what 'over the counter' oil brand has the most moly content. I have a 2013 Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0 and my first change I used M1 AFE and am about to change it with Idimetsu 0w20 (not the high moly count one). Do I NEED to stick with something with a moderate amount of moly for the skyactiv motors?

No, the ONLY oil you need is the oil recommended in your owners manual and that is any SN motor oil conventional or synthetic.
Doing anything else will not make your engine last longer by singling out one component of an oil because one thinks that is a good thing to have... the more moly the more piston and ring deposits, does anyone mention that? no

Anyway, if any help, we have the same EXACT car and engine.
I run any conventional SN oil in it. Right now I have a full 2 year supply of conventional Chevron 5w30, before that was Sams Club "Certififed" 5w30

I choose to run 5/30 for two reasons, 1. In the owners manual and around the world 5w30 a recommended weight. USA 5w20.
I live in a more moderate climate and prefer 5/30 but wouldnt matter no matter what climate, though I suppose a below 0 climate might be worth the 20.

But if you prefer the 20 thats fine too, its the design of the engine, not the motor oil.

Im not knocking any way of doing things, we all buy and do things that make us happy (including me), the marketing departments of companies have the human brain all figured out to sell products with no proof of being superior for more money and profits.

BTW = the difference in MPG between a 20 and 30 is so small that you can not produce reliable differences with the typical car odometer.

Last edited:
Alarmguy, are you using conventional 5W30 in your Mazda 3? You mentioned having the same car/engine as OP.
I used conventional or synthetic 5W30 my my daughters '06 Mazda 3 2.0L and prefered it to the 5W20 as well('cept winter).

I am asking because I want to use 5W20 in my daughters Civic 1.8L for the summer months(which required ONLY Syn 0W20) because I have such a large stash of the 5W20.

Last edited:
Alarmguy, are you using conventional 5W30 in your Mazda 3? You mentioned having the same car/engine as OP.
I used conventional or synthetic 5W30 my my daughters '06 Mazda 3 2.0L and prefered it to the 5W20 as well('cept winter).

I am asking because I want to use 5W20 in my daughters Civic 1.8L for the summer months(which required ONLY Syn 0W20) because I have such a large stash of the 5W20.

I tend to stick with what the owners manual says and ignore advice on forums with a little bit of fudging around.
Being you live WAY, WAY upstate NY :eek:) I can understand going back to a 20 in the winter. I used to live on Long Island until moving South 12 years ago.

If it was me? Without question I would use a 5/30 in the warmer part of your year meaning over 32 degrees. I use 5/30 in all our 0/20 or 5/20 cars, year round now that I am in the south, even though we do get some freaking cold winter nights here sometimes it doesnt last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back