Getting a bunch of stuff done on my Gen 1 Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

My mechanic is doing a bunch of work on my generation 1 Toyota Tundra today. The truck is a keeper. I am getting the following:

• rear brake drums and parts both sides
  • rear heavy duty shocks, for the TRD Offroad package
  • Front struts for the TRD package
  • Front stabilizer bar links

It will be nice to get all new brakes and all new suspension the truck is 15 years old and over 150,000 miles. I had snagged a 10% off coupon for my independent mechanic so getting all the work done at once. Front brakes were done very recently and has a new set of Michelin Defender XLT with about 6,000 miles on them. The drums still had some in them but it was scraping at low speed squeak-squeak-squeak and if they are going to work on it just redo the rears completely.

Not bad, >150,000 miles on the original suspension parts and rear brakes here in the frozen north.

How is the frame holding up? Those were notorious for premature frame rot along with the Tacoma of that era.

How's the frame holding up? My GF's dad has a Gen 1 Tundra that runs great but it's second frame is already rusting out.
frown.gif

I had the Toyota rustproofing campaign done on the Tundra about 5 years ago they removed the bed, blasted off any rust and coated it. The Toyota coating is holding up great. Last month I did the remaining underbody with Corroseal paint that were not covered by the frame recall and a few small places where the coating from the recall is wearing. Did the entire skid plate for example, inside of bumpers, rocker, all sorts of cross members. With the frame recall doing the rustproofing it is solid as a rock. There were some L brackets where aftermarket running boards were attached those are not holding up nearly as well, I painted them too. Truck burns zero oil at oil change time the dipstick still reads Full.

I have a 2001 Tundra with almost 200K. Dang thing is perfect.
I just serviced the engine oil and transmission; she runs soooo smooth.

I used Bilstein shocks, which I am very happy with.
Probably better than the Toyoya which might be special Bilsteins...
Not sure.

Good to get the back brakes done, as the smallish fronts tend to make these trucks under-braked....

Enjoy your truck.

Hope they are not using aftermarket brake drums. They can be a complete wildcard- they are either not round or the finish is too rough, which can cause the shoes to make clicking sounds.

Jeff thanks, they changed the front brake on the Trunda to the 13WL calipers/pads in 2004, il.e. bigger brakes than the early year Gen 1s. Mine I believe has the hardware for the upgraded calipers and pads.

Great Truck! Glad it's serving you well. We had an 06, as the third owner, and at least one of the previous owners towed with it also (we towed with ours and put it through its paces). Driveline was solid. Sturdy, reliable, comfortable, and very simple to work on for as nice as it was. Our newer truck admittedly handles the trailer much better, but I was surprised at how well built the tundra was over the domestic I have now, which is already developing plastic squeaks and uses a lot of plastic, everywhere. Toyota had more metal in all of its details.

I seem to recall that those Tundras are developing quite a used value nowadays. If you have one of the rare stepside models then you can fetch a pretty penny as well.

I still think the modern gen Tundra is just too dang big.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I seem to recall that those Tundras are developing quite a used value nowadays. If you have one of the rare stepside models then you can fetch a pretty penny as well.
Wow, I totally forgot about those. They are sweet!

I got all the work done yesterday. The mechanic used the KYB Gas-a-just shocks (KG54336) for the rear, and installed Monroe Quick Struts (171347) for the Tundra in the front, and a Moog kit for the stabilizer bar links . They are not really "struts" per se, on Tundra it a coil over shock that is installed all in one like a strut so the springs are changed out too, and the mounts. The Monroes have a lifetime wear-out and defects warranty on the strut assembly.

It really is a huge difference. It rides like a dream now and there is no play in the steering wheel at all. I have to get used to it, the truck was about 100K miles when I bought it so I never had it "new".

I have still to get a front end alignment I will probably go to the stealership for that with a coupon. Let me go a week or so and weigh in again but so far so good. The rear brakes seem fine, they are brakes. It will have to bed the brakes I suppose. The parking brake is super strong now. Actually the drums are aftermarket: they are Centric - 122.44022 so let's keep fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Wow, I totally forgot about those. They are sweet!

I bought our 06 for $12.2k from a dealer with 100k miles on it. I traded it for $7K with 150k miles on it five years later. Granted, we kept up with all of the maintenance, some of which cost (rear axle bearings and a front were particularly pricey), but yeah, I had no issues with the trade value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back