AutoSense drying not drying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all:

I have a 9-10 year old electric dryer, Admiral model: AED4475TQ1. The dryer has not been completely drying clothes in one cycle recently and I had attributed it to a clogged vent or internal exhaust ducting in the machine. Last week I took the back off and cleaned all the duct work and didn't really find a significant amount of lint/hair but did clean it up. Since then there has been no improvement.

I read around online and found that the moisture sensor will sometimes get dirty and not read the true dampness of the load and thus stop calling for the dryer to run and you're left with wet clothes. After a load (2 cycles on the 'dryest' setting autosense had) I unloaded it and looked around the drum only to find that there is no sensor that I can see, I even looked on the front wall of the dryer and cannot find anything.

Anyone know where else the sensor might be on this unit?

And before someone says "just don't use autosense" the machine ONLY has a max of a 30 minute cycle on timed dry and that has proven to be completely ineffective.

Assuming an electric dryer .

Check the voltage where the dryer plugs in . 240 VAC ?

Check the voltage at the dryer heating element . 240 VAC ?

Do not know about your machine . Ours has a heat sensor for " regular " dry and one for " permant-press " . And , I think , one for emergency high temp cut off . If it was ours , I would check then also .

Please report back what you find .

We have a dryer we bought new in 2013. When drying a full load, we would have to run two full hour and 30 minute cycles to get the clothes dry. Come to find it has two heating elements and one of them was not working. Since that heating element was replaced, it now dries that same load in one 45 minute cycle...check your heating elements...

Originally Posted by WDB
Try this place.....Great source of info......

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-F...del-Model-AED4475TQ1-Admiral-Dryer-Parts

I had started looking through here before and found that I can't see a listing for any kind of sensor. I will have to find the parts diagrams and take a closer look.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Do not know about your machine . Ours has a heat sensor for " regular " dry and one for " permant-press " . And , I think , one for emergency high temp cut off . If it was ours , I would check then also .

I will get my multimeter out and do this tonight if time permits.

Originally Posted by grampi
We have a dryer we bought new in 2013. When drying a full load, we would have to run two full hour and 30 minute cycles to get the clothes dry. Come to find it has two heating elements and one of them was not working. Since that heating element was replaced, it now dries that same load in one 45 minute cycle...check your heating elements...

Is there a resistance value that I should be getting across these elements? I figured there were two as it does have a 'low heat' setting. What I can't wrap my head around is why it's shutting off at all if it hasn't reached the set level of dryness... maybe it stops after a set amount of time no matter what?

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Originally Posted by WDB
Try this place.....Great source of info......

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-F...del-Model-AED4475TQ1-Admiral-Dryer-Parts

I had started looking through here before and found that I can't see a listing for any kind of sensor. I will have to find the parts diagrams and take a closer look.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I will get my multimeter out and do this tonight if time permits.

Is there a resistance value that I should be getting across these elements? I figured there were two as it does have a 'low heat' setting. What I can't wrap my head around is why it's shutting off at all if it hasn't reached the set level of dryness... maybe it stops after a set amount of time no matter what?

Just a guess, but I would say a bad heating element would read on a meter as an open...

Just a guess, but I would say a bad heating element would read on a meter as an open...

I guess I wasn't thinking. I took a look at photos the 'heating element' on amazon and other parts sites and it seems little more than a coiled wire insulated by what I assume is ceramic, housed in a galvanized box.

I did see, however, that it appears it only has one heating element, two terminals, one connected to each end of said wire. SO this begs the question, how do I get high and low heat settings, a resistor upstream from the element maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back