Time for a new Generator... Wisdom desired!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all,

we had a multi day outage in Ottawa this past weekend due to tornado winds that took out a good chunk of power infrastructure. I currently have a Champion generator that worked well through the whole outage. I've wired it into our main fuse panel via a transfer switch for 6 main circuits. It's a great budget setup.

I'm considering getting a pair of portable inverters that can pair up via a parallel cable. This allows flexibility and portability. Something that would have come in handy for family and friends.

There are the expected options, like Honda's EU2200i and Yamaha's offerings. However, they aren't cheap. I was browsing Amazon last night and came across the Westinghouse iGen2500 which has a larger 98cc engine (the 80cc engines never seemed to actually offer 2k watts) and looks about right. It's going for $759 CDN. The Honda is about $1700 CDN on this side of the border.

Thoughts, suggestions and experienced wanted
grin.gif

I think on the Yamaha's atleast there is lots of markup on msrp. Our local guy was advertising 20% off when we got our EF3000ise. 14 years now with running some stuff it shouldn't and no issues.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/w...ed-by-mwe-investments-due-to-fire-hazard

Maybe also consider a single Generac GP3000i, with a 149cc engine.
Seems Generac and Yamaha have models that take into account the substantial in-rush current needed to start compressor loads, Honda 2nd, and the chinese inverter generators not so much.
Since you have a transfer switch already, don't you want your genset to have 240V out, so you can hook it into the transfer switch?

Check the valve lash inspection intervals - what seems like equivalent product is often not.

UD

Originally Posted by spackard

Seems Generac and Yamaha have models that take into account the substantial in-rush current needed to start compressor loads, Honda 2nd, and the chinese inverter generators not so much.
Since you have a transfer switch already, don't you want your genset to have 240V out, so you can hook it into the transfer switch?

Yikes, recall!

I've been quite happy with the Champion brand. Is this an inverter? The term Hybrid has me wondering:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3R711N/ref=psdc_348967011_t1_B079KRHJ5C

Originally Posted by hatt
I have one of the Champion 2K cubes and it has been problem free. Prices are $400-450. I have ran a 5000 btu A/C and fridge at the same time without a problem.

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/73536i-2000-watt-inverter-generator/

I loved those cubes when they first came out. However I saw reports that they didn't deliver the wattage they claimed. I attributed that to the small 80cc engine. But then you can stack them! Might be worth a revisit.

My aunt that lives in Winchester has the Predator from Harbor Freight. She popped over to the U.S. when I was there and we picked it up. She's happy with it and it's a lot less expensive even with USD to CAD conversion than the Honda/Yamaha.

Given the Ice Storm she lived through a few years back you might want to spring for the Honda/Yamaha or something name brand because the winters are brutal there and if you are without power you want something that is going to be a sure bet. Not that the Harbor Freight unit isn't but just something to think about.

I hope no one you know was badly hurt with the Tornadoes that just touched down. Pretty extensive damage there from the pictures my aunt sent me.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My aunt that lives in Winchester has the Predator from Harbor Freight. She popped over to the U.S. when I was there and we picked it up. She's happy with it and it's a lot less expensive even with USD to CAD conversion than the Honda/Yamaha.

Given the Ice Storm she lived through a few years back you might want to spring for the Honda/Yamaha or something name brand because the winters are brutal there and if you are without power you want something that is going to be a sure bet. Not that the Harbor Freight unit isn't but just something to think about.

I hope no one you know was badly hurt with the Tornadoes that just touched down. Pretty extensive damage there from the pictures my aunt sent me.

Incredible that more people didn't get seriously hurt. The damage around the area was extensive.

Originally Posted by webfors
Originally Posted by StevieC

Incredible that more people didn't get seriously hurt. The damage around the area was extensive.

Yeah the pictures she sent me was pretty nasty and then I saw various on the news. It is pretty nuts but I heard on the News that Canada is 2nd to Tornado alley in the U.S. I had no idea we had that many twisters but I guess it's because we aren't heavily populated and spread out like the U.S. and only 1/10th the population.

Is Generac considered a premiere brand, alongside Honda and Yamaha?

Absolutely. I see them all over construction sites here. An electrician friend of mine has one and swears by it. It's an inverter-generator.

Last edited:
If you're going to pay the $ for something reliable, and you want to believe the ratings, I'd stick with Honda or Yamaha. I've owned both and was pleased with both. I have a yamaha 3k inverter now, and if I were to do it again would probably have gone with the 2k-2.2k size, as the 3k is not nearly as fun to move around. The honda eu2000i sipped fuel, but wanted for a larger tank. you *can* buy fittings to add an auxiary tank, however, which the yamahas wont support. Both inverters I've run also support power tools when needed, and do fine. If i'm pushing them hard, I'd pull them out of eco mode and they don't flinch and extra provide better power than the house wiring. Running a smaller genset and managing the loads gives a lot more flexibility, especially with limited fuel storage.

Originally Posted by spackard

Yikes, recall!

I've been quite happy with the Champion brand. Is this an inverter? The term Hybrid has me wondering:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3R711N/ref=psdc_348967011_t1_B079KRHJ5C

Champion answered this question on Amazon: "We are using the term hybrid in the sense that we have taken a traditionally fully enclosed inverter style generator and put it on an open frame like a traditionally non-inverter style generator. This allows us to use a larger engine and increase output power while decreasing cost. The trade off is that this machine will be slightly louder than fully enclosed style inverters."

The only other issue with inverter generators is no 240V output.

I would first find out which appliances you want to use during a blackout and then add up the sum-total amount of power required.

Multiply that by 1.5 to equal the power required from the emergency generator's alternator. As others have stated, you need to seriously consider the surge current during startup.

I haven't found any Inverter type generators as yet that can fill the bill.

Originally Posted by meep
you *can* buy fittings to add an auxiary tank, however, which the yamahas wont support.

You can absolutely add an extended run tank to the Yamaha. The difference is that the generator itself does not have a pump, so the auxiliary tank must have it's own pump or be mounted higher than the generator to gravity feed it.

Notes:

1) Suitcase inverter generators do not make 240V. Only 120V, single phase. Even when paralleled.

2) Honda now makes the EU2200i. It will parallel with most EU2000's. Which will parallel with just about any Honda inverter generator. A 1000, 2000 and 3000 can be paralleled. (only the oldest ones won't do this)

3) Inverter generators ARE NOT more efficient under medium to heavy loads. Inverter generators "sip fuel" when unloaded or lightly loaded. (remember, a good quality generator head is at least 90% efficient) Inverter gen's have an efficient generator, then run the power through some very complex electronics. The losses mount under high loads, and the engine is at high RPM.

So, if you are running heaters (inc water heater) , motors, air conditioning, a stove or cooktop, electric dryer or other heavy load, you will probably want a conventional generator with conventional generator head.

If you are just running a fridge and a TV, the inverter units are perfect. As they will idle down when the fridge cycles off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
I would first find out which appliances you want to use during a blackout and then add up the sum-total amount of power required.

Multiply that by 1.5 to equal the power required from the emergency generator's alternator. As others have stated, you need to seriously consider the surge current during startup.

I haven't found any Inverter type generators as yet that can fill the bill.

Let's say for example you want only to power your refrigerator/freezer combo, microwave, furnace-A/C, and a few lights (using LED lights):

http://www.mea.coop/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/High-Bill-Packet.pdf

Microwave = 1500 Watts + refrigerator/freezer combo = 250 Watts + 3, 20W LED lights = 60 Watts + 2.5 Ton AC or Furnace = 3500 Watts = = 5.3kW or 5,300 Watts.

5.3kWX1.5 = 6.4 kW. Engine HP required = 6400 WattsX0.00134HP/Watt = 10.6 HP. A 13 HP engine would be the norm.

And for safety, you need a Changeover switchbox so when your house goes on the EG, you don't send power back into the Power company's lines and electrocute some poor lineman.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
I have one of the Champion 2K cubes and it has been problem free. Prices are $400-450. I have ran a 5000 btu A/C and fridge at the same time without a problem.

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/73536i-2000-watt-inverter-generator/

I loved those cubes when they first came out. However I saw reports that they didn't deliver the wattage they claimed. I attributed that to the small 80cc engine. But then you can stack them! Might be worth a revisit.

Most of the reviews I saw were very good. I have no idea about how many watts it actually delivers. I've tested it with the stuff I want to be able to run and it did fine so I'm satisfied. It appears everything in the category is made in China/etc so the Champion appears to be about as good as other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back