Looking for heated container ideas for spraying waxoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make homemade waxoil undercoating. I have to heat up the solution in order to get the ingredients to mix together. When the solution cools its kind of like a soft wax. Just hard enough so it does not drip in the summer. Anyway i have to heat up the solution in order to spray it on. It has to be really hot. Usually i stick it in some container made of glass and put it in the microwave for a while until its all melted again and i can spray it. The problem is i have to work really fast otherwise it hardens again while im spraying it. I tried looking online but could not find what i was looking for. Im looking for some kind of container that is heated that i can keep the solution in while i am spraying it. I would like something cheap that can be bought or made. Lets hear your ideas.

Last edited:
I believe that commercial spraying equipment exists (not cheap I imagine) called "heated, plural delivery spray equipment". This is used for two-part type paints that are catalyzed at the last possible moment... so that each component runs in a heated flexible tube up to the mixing system in the sprayer / gun. My point in mentioning this is that systems do exist that heat the material and add heat to the tubes so that the material continues to remain hot till the last possible moment. Dunna know where to source... but isn't Binks a name in commercial spray eq't?

Two nested cans, inner smaller than outer, er..obviously. Inner has the goo in it.
Outer has some burning charcoal in the bottom, and some air holes.

Basically a "hobo stove".

I started using homemade waxoil a few years back, and I gave up trying to spray it. I had to stop every 5 minutes and unclog the sprayer and it got old quick. Now I just buy a few cheap paint brushes of various sizes, and throw them out when I'm done. I put down a cheap plastic drop cloth, put on some old disposable clothes, and have at it. I fill a wide plastic container with hot water, and put my waxoil container in it and let it float as I "paint" the waxoil onto the bottom of the car.

Makes a horrific mess of my clothes and the drop cloth, when I'm done I just bundle them all up and into the trash they go.

I have started to make my waxoil probably a lot thicker than some would, very heavy on the wax part, just an ounce or two of oil, and just enough mineral spirits to keep it as a somewhat fluid slurry. When I heat it up in the hot water, it gets fairly thin, but still a bit too heavy to spray. When it cools to room temperature, it ends up looking like thin, oily peanut butter. It goes on pretty well with the paint brushes, but spraying it is pretty much not going to work.

Do you want heat all the time while you are spraying or do you want to heat it up at the beginning and then spray until it cools down?

Also wax type coatings aren't the best as Krown will tell you. It can actually trap moisture against the body and accelerate rust, it's why Rubberized coatings aren't great either because if any part of it becomes loose it can trap moisture under it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
Why not simply use a solvent to thin the mixture? That way, heat is not required.

I tried that. I don't like the way it coats. I'm looking for a much thicker one time apply.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Do you want heat all the time while you are spraying or do you want to heat it up at the beginning and then spray until it cools down?

Also wax type coatings aren't the best as Krown will tell you. It can actually trap moisture against the body and accelerate rust, it's why Rubberized coatings aren't great either because if any part of it becomes loose it can trap moisture under it.

I want to heat it up the whole time I'm spraying. It's more uniform and I don't have to rush spraying before the mixture cools down. Also it's not a hard wax it has the consistency of grease.

Then I would get something like this... https://www.krautzberger.com/aoshow/cid=88c4dfd18f3a3aeba5587a352f3c3650/L=en

I haven't looked at the price but i know it's way out of my price range. I'm looking to heat a container such as a paint can and them have a hose to the spray gun. My gun is siphon feed and it needs to stay that way because I can't spray under a vehicle with a gravity feed gun. It would be upside down.

I wonder if you bought a mug warmer for coffee and modified it with your can sitting on top. It would keep it warm but not overly hot and they are like $20 on Amazon. Mr.Coffee makes a good one. You could also buy a cheap coffee maker and steal the heating element out of that one if you want more heat.

Or get a hot-plate that plugs into the wall and set it ultra low and rest your metal can on that.

I was looking on eBay and there are these heaters called cartridge heaters. I wonder if I can buy a 120v cartridge heaters and then just have it sit in the container keeping the solution warm.

I wonder if you bought a mug warmer for coffee and modified it with your can sitting on top. It would keep it warm but not overly hot and they are like $20 on Amazon. Mr.Coffee makes a good one. You could also buy a cheap coffee maker and steal the heating element out of that one if you want more heat.

Or get a hot-plate that plugs into the wall and set it ultra low and rest your metal can on that.

I can probably find a coffee maker at Goodwill.

So i found the solution to my problem i believe. $10 from goodwill. A heated cooker thing with adjustable temperature.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back