One Dodge running 5W20 rewrites all the engineering texts in history ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
One of the iterations of TGMO dropped to 2.4HTHS early in it's life (CATERHAM's testing I agree with)...and Honda have hinted that before the adoption of 16 grade and lower, they were intentionally trying to get the oil to slip a grade early.

The 0W16s that we've seen to date are much more robustly built, almost close to a monograde in viscometrics which I think backs this up.

So Toyota intends for they're 0w20 to shear down?

Both the 2017 & 2018 5.3L are much quieter on 0w20 than my 2010 was on 5w30 or even 5w40 ...
Not sure I'd credit the oil for that ...
They are under warranty so sticking with what's on the cap for now ...

Wait ... Specs are an end game ...
Toyota is neither a formulator nor a producer of base stock and related ...
Test engines and engineering would be my bet ...

Originally Posted by 4WD
Wait ... Specs are an end game ...
Toyota is neither a formulator nor a producer of base stock and related ...
Test engines and engineering would be my bet ...

Toyota likely collaborated via an OEM partnership in Japan to develop a formula and had XOM reproduce it. Similar to how the HTO-06 was developed in conjunction with XOM by Honda.

Originally Posted by Shannow
imploding...is that a new SAE standard or burden of proof ?

See the hyperbole that you people bring to any discussion is the childish part...

Find a single post where I have once suggested the
* pile of failed engines
* engines imploding left right and centre
* engines failing just outside of warranty...

All of which your team has placed in my mouth.

I am offering what the OEMS and legislator are saying.
They are trading off economy (or CO2, pick your market), while trying to make "acceptable" compromises in longevity (that's Honda)
That they put in performance management systems to neuter the engines when it's performance envelope outstretches the lube they put in (That's Subaru/Toyota in the BRZ/86 "sports car")
When they do so, they MUST make every reasonable effort to ensure that owners use those lubes (that's the EPA to Honda and Ford).

And if the car makes it to the junkyard with 100,000 miles left on the engine rather than 150,000 miles, it's a perfectly valid tradeoff.

I agree.

Originally Posted by nap
Originally Posted by buster
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-earth-dreams-engine-lawsuit-cr-v-civic.shtml

Makes one wonder whether a slightly fuel diluted Mobil 1 0W30 AFE would be similar in properties to a 0W20....

I don't know if the dilution and consumption issues with Earthdreams can automatically be attributed to grade. I have shared this list before. Most of these vehicles use an oil with many certs and approvals plus a 3.5 HTHS. Granted, The Earthdreams 1.5T might make the top of this list. This also goes back to the "Cushion..." thread. What difference would a 5w30 or 0w40 make in the Earthdreams engine and would you even want that band-aide which might get you past warranty but nothing else. Then you're stuck.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
My old 08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 would drink any of those under the table, and be ready for more! It seems to be trying to kick the habit, though. It went from nearly 1 quart per 1k miles to barely any usage every 1k. I'm not sure why. It runs like new, though, and has never given me any trouble outside its appetite for the golden juice. It just turned over 126k on the odo.

Wemay I was thinking in a different dirrection. Why bother with so many grades? Let's have just 0W40, with a nice table printed on the back of the bottle, telling the user how much fuel to add to it in order to obtain a specific fuel economy. Pretty much like 2 cycle engine people add oil to their fuel, we'll do the opposite, keep EPA happy and save the earth in the process!

crackmeup2.gif

Daaaang … you might want to put a reserve oil tank on those like your coolant system has, LoL …

Originally Posted by nap
Wemay I was thinking in a different dirrection. Why bother with so many grades? Let's have just 0W40, with a nice table printed on the back of the bottle, telling the user how much fuel to add to it in order to obtain a specific fuel economy. Pretty much like 2 cycle engine people add oil to their fuel, we'll do the opposite, keep EPA happy and save the earth in the process!

crackmeup2.gif

It will do great cleaning things up in the crankcase too.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by nap

crackmeup2.gif

Like my RC WWII Spitfire in college.
LOL... novel and original.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
BMW, Audi and Subaru all seem to be well represented.

A couple of which i still wouldn't mind in my parking spot.

Originally Posted by nap
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-earth-dreams-engine-lawsuit-cr-v-civic.shtml

Makes one wonder whether a slightly fuel diluted Mobil 1 0W30 AFE would be similar in properties to a 0W20....

The artice eluded to the engine sensing when the oil level was 1 quart over full. If that's 1 qt of gasoline added to the oil that's a TON of fuel dilution, and according to the article it was happening about every 1000~1200 miles of driving. Something definitely wrong with the fuel mapping or something similar going on with that engine.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by nap

The artice eluded to the engine sensing when the oil level was 1 quart over full. If that's 1 qt of gasoline added to the oil that's a TON of fuel dilution, and according to the article it was happening about every 1000~1200 miles of driving. Something definitely wrong with the fuel mapping or something similar going on with that engine.

The 1.5 Earth Dreams Engine has a particularly small sump capacity. I'm sure this is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back