The smell of an oil: VME adds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put VME 0W-20 in the newer Forester today and was struck by the distinctive scent of this oil, unlike any I've used before over the past forty five years or so.
Valvoline claims unique carbon cleaning abilities for this oil, but every maker claims some unique advantage for whatever they offer.
I wonder what the adds are that give this oil its unique scent. I also wonder what made the small amounts I got on the backs of my hands to cause the skin to feel dry just as with some ATFs.
Any ideas?

Originally Posted by fdcg27

I wonder what the adds are that give this oil its unique scent.

Aircraft turbine engine oils are mostly Ester based and have a weird smell and feel.

The Castrol Brayco Micronic 889 PAO Dielectric fluid and heat transfer fluid (MIL-PRF-87252C) we use for avionics cooling also has a weird smell and feel. I think it's 100% pure PAO.

I have a opened quart of VME so I just checked it myself. There is indeed a different smell to it. It's not petroleum like but I dare say it's slightly fruity. It's hard to really place.

What I noticed since I used both VAS and VME was the color difference. VME has a blonde straw color compared to the usual light amber honey color of most oil.

I'll be changing to VME here pretty quick before the weather changes too much.

The VME was a fairly dark orange amber as compared to the light beige of most oils or the almost water white of previous no-moly sodium add pack Valvoline oils.

Originally Posted by Linctex
How much are you paying for this stuff?

With Valvoline's current rebate I paid $19.74. The check came fairly quickly as well. $15 off of a 5qt jug.

Edit: to add, a few days ago I received a tote bag from Valvoline in the mail that I can use in the car. Along with that was a coupon book with another $15 off of VME.

Last edited:
I remember Royal Purple Synerlec oils had a really distinctive smell. It smelled "rubbery" to best explain it,like atf.

Originally Posted by PimTac
. The check came fairly quickly as well. $15 off of a 5qt jug. ...., a few days ago I received ... was a coupon book with another $15 off of VME.

Nice!

Another oil with a distinct smell is QSUD. It has a sweet pleasant smell to it. First time I used it I did a double take on the smell.

I'd like to know more about this oil too. MSDS shows it's primarily Group III, but that doesn't mean it contains no PAO/IV.

$35.99-$10 mPerks coupon-$3.60 mPerks special-$15.00 MIR=dirt cheap.

I'm always a sucker for the deal and wanted to try this oil.

pcb.2169402066405740

6E72F123-A285-4CA7-B7CC-459311612A97.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27

$35.99-$10 mPerks coupon-$3.60 mPerks special-$15.00 MIR=dirt cheap.

I'm always a sucker for the deal and wanted to try this oil.

So if my math is correct you paid under $7.50 for VME? Nice score

I have been running the VME 0w20 for a few days now. The first thing I noticed is that the engine is noticeably quieter. Even my wife commented on this. Nothing scientific of course.

I didn't catch any smell on mine but I changed it on a chilly damp morning so that might play into it.

As a extra, in order to get the $15 rebate, Valvoline wants you to sign up for their Team Valvoline site. A couple of weeks after I got the rebate check I received a parcel from Valvoline which included a nice branded tote bag that I am using in the car plus a coupon book that includes another $15 rebate offer for VME expiring this January. A nice touch in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back