OBD2 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have an HF model that does pretty good.

Correction: It's made by Autel, but is equal to their ABS reading model.

I've used it on her Volvo and diagnosed a bad throttle body. As well as my truck. Oddly enough, it's required me to select the brand for my truck and not her Volvo. Also, the live data reader doesn't function on my truck if you 1.) select the model 2.) read the code. 3.) read live data. It's fine with her Volvo.

I need to restart entirely and just read live data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: zppeterson
My main goal is to be able to read/clear codes and abs

INNOVA 3130C

I just went through the OBDII buying process and ended up with a somewhat powerful (shadetree) Autel unit for under $100 with an Amazon lightning deal. You MUST dig deep into studying the features of the models you are interested in. For instance, if you check the vehicle compatibility charts for the 3130C Merk recommends above, you will find out that it has not been updated past 2011 for ABS codes on the Chevy Malibu (picked randomly).

https://www.innova.com/en-US/Product/Detail/3130c?r=0.02798864033437599

Buyer beware!. I.E. - Actron (Bosch) code readers have not updated their software beyond 2013 model year for anything above generic, global OBDII.

I have a few of the blue bluetooth units. Some say ELM 327 and some say Panling. They used to work great. Now i cant get them to connect with a galaxy s5. I have one vehicle with a CEL that im probably not fixing (egr system) and want to leave an obd2 plugged in to monitor for new codes. Are there any smaller units that are more reliable and wont stick out too far? Hopefully something not too pricy?

You can get a very basic one that just reads codes for around $30

It all depends on what you want to do. If you just need a code autozone or AAP will read it for you. It helps them sell parts. I got by without a code reader for years this way.

What do you guys think about those handheld machine like zurich from harbor freight vs the little adapter and linked to a iphone setting? Which 1 you prefer? I am thinking if I use the kind that is hooked up with a cell phone. I will always get the latest software updates? Thanks

Originally Posted by Malo83
I have the BOSCH scanner, works great.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...scanners-17943/scan-tool/obd1100/2578938

I got that one weekend when I as stuck with a common rail pressure code and limp on wife's Captiva (plug and play tuning box upset it badly, and she needed to get to work next day)…$250 on a Sunday arv...this IS Australia...nothing's cheap.

Got this
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HHOBD-T...720755124?hash=item2317a835b4&_uhb=1

and Torque Pro

Can do quarter mile times in the Colorado, and with a windscreen mount, it's a handy set of gauges for boost and the like.

I like both of them. Have saved myself and workmates hundreds of $$$, but funnily enough has only cost ME actual dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back