Wisdom of BITOG'ers wanted- 19 Avalon Hybrid oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Id consider running TGMO or a spec 0w-16 for a few OCIs to let any infant mortality issues run out, then consider 0w-20 M1 EP.

Why? Because Hybrids are one type of vehicle where I do think that PAO may be useful. Since the engine (at least my accord hybrid does this) can shut off instantaneously after long/hard acceleration, there is potential for a lot of heat soak on any oil local to the hot components. They will heat soak, as will the oil, and the oil will take the effects. So I want a higher PAO (for oxidation stability), and lowest NOACK (to that extent, a 5w-20 may be preferable).
Not to mention much easier to find on a store shelf.
I just realized that one day 0W20 will be clearanced just like 10W30 is now. The future is exciting!

With the engine not running all the time I would advise to use the weight the manual calls for which you mentioned is 0w16.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
... Since the engine (at least my accord hybrid does this) can shut off instantaneously after long/hard acceleration, there is potential for a lot of heat soak on any oil local to the hot components. They will heat soak, as will the oil, and the oil will take the effects. ...
I don't know about the Avalon, but 3rd-generation Prii (e.g., mine) do that only when the car speed is below about 45 mph. At higher speeds, when the accelerator is released, the engine continues to rotate, albeit driven by the wheels instead of by burning gasoline. In that case, the heat soak you describe won't happen. At lower speeds (upon cresting a steep hill being the most likely circumstance), it might. The critical speed is different for other hybrid models that use the same type ("e-CVT") transmission.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dareo
IMO at 14:1 compression its stressed just as much as a turbo engine. Possibly more, since every single revolution is at high compression. Turbo engines get to relax when out of boost. my golf puts along at 9.6:1 for the vast majority of its engine revolutions.
I am not an automotive engineer but I thought it was the high temps the oil is exposed to inside the turbo that shears the oil. I'm not sure the high compression would really have an effect on oil, else the Skyactiv engines would be notorious on here for it.

Most turbos are water cooled, so the temperatures aren't extreme. My golf even has some extra water pump that can circulate some coolant after shutdown. Sure, its extremely hot in the turbine area but the center section is cooled by water and oil. According to Garrett water cooled temps stay below 250 degrees. The added heat and pressure under boost wears the engine oil/engine out faster. Fuel dilution and timing chains help shear the oil too, but are also found in n/a engines. At least with my car and my drive i rarely do more than a 2nd gear WOT pull and i've hit the road speed needed. So high load/temperature hits that turbo for a few seconds and then its loafing along maintaining a speed. Even with a 30 minute drive in the summer with AC running oil pan temps rarely hit 220 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back