Adding fuel filter- Generator built with no filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10 year old generator with a Tecumseh 10 hp engine. The gen was built without any fuel filter , although it may have had a screen of some sort that fell off inside the tank. I am constantly pulling off the carb and finding little bits of plastic, metal or dirt clogging up the jets and lying in the bottom of the bowl, and then having to tear down the carb and do a full clean. I want to add a fuel filter to the 1/4 " fuel line, which is easy enough, but I am concerned that the carb might be starved for fuel. The tank is above the engine and is gravity fed. Most of the fuel filters for this purpose are either 75 micron or 150 micron, but I want to go with the Wix 33001 which seems to be common for small engines and is a 12 micron filter. I always run fuel stabilizer and try to pre-filter the fuel, but it seems to be a lost cause without some filter in the fuel line. Am I asking for different problems by adding a fuel filter ?

After adding the fuel filter, test it for flow.

Start at ~1/2 tank of fuel for an accurate test.

You want somewhere no less than 1 fluid oz per 10 seconds, or 6 oz per minute (a typical soda can is 12oz, so half a soda can per minute).... even a bit less than that is acceptable.

This flow rate will *easily* keep your generator running at full power.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I want to go with the Wix 33001 which seems to be common for small engines and is a 12 micron filter.

I have this same exact filter (Napa 3001) on my tree branch chipper, which uses a Ford Industrial 172 cubic inch 4 cylinder engine (same as Powermaster Tractor)

It is also gravity fed..... there are NO fuel flow issues.

Originally Posted by Linctex
After adding the fuel filter, test it for flow.

Start at ~1/2 tank of fuel for an accurate test.

You want somewhere no less than 1 fluid oz per 10 seconds, or 6 oz per minute (a typical soda can is 12oz, so half a soda can per minute).... even a bit less than that is acceptable.

This flow rate will *easily* keep your generator running at full power.

Excellent info on flow rate test, thanks !!

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Fram G1 is only $3.

I am finding the Wix 33001 and Fram G1 are about the same cost. I like the Wix because of the clear plastic housing gives me a rough idea if fuel is flowing.

I would remove and clean your tank. The particles you mention(plastic and metal) , I doubt came from your gas supplier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I would remove and clean your tank. The particles you mention(plastic and metal) , I doubt came from your gas supplier.

I have cleaned the tank twice: not sure where the dirt comes from, but its both metal and plastic. I never ran a magnet across the dirt so I am not sure what the metal is, but it tends to look more like copper or bronze, and possibly aluminum. The plastic has been black and red in color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back