Why does Redline Motor oil quiet lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Redline Motor oil quiet valve lash adjusters on vehicles? Sometimes referred to as Lifters.

One possibility is its high HTHS viscosity, compared to typical oils within whatever viscosity grade is used. That theory can be tested relatively easily by using a different oil with similar HTHS. I think that possibility is most likely. Other possibilities are its PAO and ester content and/or high ZDDP and/or high molybdenum concentration.

Originally Posted by JAG
One possibility is its high HTHS viscosity, compared to typical oils within whatever viscosity grade is used. That theory can be tested relatively easily by using a different oil with similar HTHS. I think that possibility is most likely. Other possibilities are its PAO and ester content and/or high ZDDP and/or high molybdenum concentration.

This, in a nutshell. Redline's oils are heavy for their grade. On top of that, they are heavily fortified with additives.

When I'm around engines running on Redline Oil, I often have earplugs in.
grin.gif

Last edited:
The moly. Same was as with Pennzoil and Quaker State oils run so smooth and quiet,the high moly content.

Dawgs: Either 5W-20 or 5W-30 will work perfectly.
RL does an amazing job quieting the upper valve train within the Hemi engines.
Mind you: be patient, it might take 500-1K miles to begin working.
Due to the plating.

Wouldn't a better question be why don't other oils quiet lifters? Why is it necessary to use a boutique oil? Why would "oil" guys recommend a sparce additive low viscosity oil over a hearty oil, especially when all we have seen is the industry obamatize itself to run thinner and thinner oil? Sad state of affairs for sure. Common sense aint so common anymore, follow the "experts" and run 0w20 api donut stuff or follow the guys that don't know squat and run a hearty oil, this is the question.

Originally Posted by burla
Wouldn't a better question be why don't other oils quiet lifters? Why is it necessary to use a boutique oil? Why would "oil" guys recommend a sparce additive low viscosity oil over a hearty oil, especially when all we have seen is the industry obamatize itself to run thinner and thinner oil? Sad state of affairs for sure. Common sense aint so common anymore, follow the "experts" and run 0w20 api donut stuff or follow the guys that don't know squat and run a hearty oil, this is the question.

Catalytic converter health, lower fuel consumption...etc. The quest for lower emissions and higher fuel economy numbers are at odds with heavier lubricants with high additive levels. Realistically, neither is likely going to have much effect on the lifespan of your typical consumer's vehicle.

And other oils do quiet lifters, they are generally just heavier. Which happens to align with Redline also being heavier....
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by burla
When you are under warranty you follow orders or switch receipts, after that whatever the cool oil is on BITOG.

It uses a secret/proprietary ingredient. I know the secret! Tears from past M1 uses trying to quiet valve train ticks. Not only in Hemis but also in Mercedes 3.2L V6 engines and I'm sure there are more. I owned one and personally know of two other Mercedes 3.2L engines that have had their ticks cured switching to Red Line from the factory fill M1. BTW- some hemi ticks aren't valvetrain related but an exhaust stud issue.

Guess I was hoping for a scientific explanation! However; I do appreciate the comments from you blokes.

Last I checked according to Red Line web site :
5Wx30 HTHS 3.7
"Thicker oil film at operating temperature than a petroleum 10W40"

one of the highest moly based on the answers to one of my recent threads (which 5wx30 has high moly)
Typical hths for the 5wx30 oils that I use are 2.9 and 3.1 iirc.

Here is a scientific explanation unrelated to your question : NOACK 6.0.
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Edit: inserted the link ...
5wx30's with high moly

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dawgn86
Should I run 5w-20 or 5w-30 in my 2012 hem I to quieten tick?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The moly. Same was as with Pennzoil and Quaker State oils run so smooth and quiet,the high moly content.

I have ran Pennzoil in my Hemi since new and have never noticed the dreaded Hemi tick. I dumped the factory fill early around 1000-1500 miles or so I believe then went straight to Pennzoil syn after that I believe? (Maybe one OC with PYB?)

I broke my Hemi in according to the manual with some quick full throttle bursts here and there and it has never used/burned a drop of oil.

I watch/hear those Hemi tick videos and I am glad I am not one who has those.

So far, Pennzoil has worked great for me.

Originally Posted by irv

I have ran Pennzoil in my Hemi since new and have never noticed the dreaded Hemi tick. I dumped the factory fill early around 1000-1500 miles or so I believe then went straight to Pennzoil syn after that I believe? (Maybe one OC with PYB?)

I broke my Hemi in according to the manual with some quick full throttle bursts here and there and it has never used/burned a drop of oil.

Yeah, neither of my SRT's have ticked either
21.gif
Both have used Mobil and Castrol 0w-40.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by irv

Yeah, neither of my SRT's have ticked either
21.gif
Both have used Mobil and Castrol 0w-40.

Monday or Friday build quality?
21.gif

Like my last POS Sierra; sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't.

Last edited:
I just don't follow the logic, a engine ticks, and then the tick goes away once the engine warms up. Thus a thicker lube must be used to silence the tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back