Toyota 4.0L v-6, Mobil 1 AP, 20k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For other members. has taken a couple OCIs to wash out for other members, so likely the same here.

If you're following folks in dust offroad then certainly a snorkel will help.

All things considered both samples are fine. You have a higher than average silica reading thus this accounts for the slight increase in wear metals. Do to your driving habits you are not surprised.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That's the most iron I've ever seen!

Not even. The acceptable limit for iron is 150PPM according to the UOA write up on BITOGs "Home Page".

True, under the circumstances the oil did its job.. That might be an acceptable limit, but it is still high. Lets face it anyone here seeing 150 ppm of iron is going to be looking for some way, or some oil to lower that number. I call it human nature on Bitog.

Just took a sample at 10k OCI this week. Should have results from blackstone soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bwalker
Here is my latest UOA. Thoughts?
[Linked Image]

I see this 10000 miles sample as good and could have gone on to 15-20 k just like before, as your filtration system seems has been stabilised, but alas you'd replaced this oil.

Originally Posted by Bwalker
Just took a sample at 10k OCI this week. Should have results from blackstone soon.

I'd speculate Fe may be trending down to 18ish ppm for this current 10k sample, and am of the opinion that AP is good for your Tacoma up to 20k as like before.

I changed it out at 10k in an effort to flauh out any dirt from the oil. I am running one more 10k interval and will give 20k another try there after.
One development is the fact I am no longer working at a remote mine site. I took a job with at a Cenex oil refinery and my commute to work will only be 25 minutes at 70mph on paved roads. Instead of an hour at 85-90 and 25 minutes or so on dusty dirt roads.

I found it interesting on Mobil1 website that their 0w40 FSU and 0w30 espx1 both had higher engine wear protection compared with any of the Annual Protection oils. It was also interesting that their 10w30 extended performance had better engine wear protection that the 5w30 extended performance regular and better than 5w30 extended performance high mileage.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Might install a safari snorkel.

Not sure if you are serious but only 10 miles of dirt road (each way) to my camp made the engine bay look like the view of Beijing from the sky …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back