List of dexos licensed oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that there is no list of dexos licensed oils on the internet any more. The old links to lists have been deactivated.

GM has moved it back to in-house so we are all in the dark from what I have read here... Best option is to look for the logo on oil bottles.
frown.gif

Why would anyone even, unless you drive a late model GM car, care about their General Motors proprietary licensing scheme.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn
Why would anyone even, unless you drive a late model GM car, car about their General Motors proprietary licensing scheme.

Amen brutha; scheme indeed.

Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils ensure a high quality oil for those that want to use off the shelf oils as has been discussed here at great lengths.

I'm of a different crowd so it means nothing to me if it is or isn't officially licensed.

Why would anyone who couldn't care less stop to place comments here?

I am more interested in what happened to the lists than what is on the lists.

Originally Posted by k1xv
Why would anyone who couldn't care less stop to place comments here?

I am more interested in what happened to the lists than what is on the lists.

Guess you might be referring to me. This topic appeared in the "Active Threads" link at the top of the page and seemed interesting enough to click on. Apology if me expressing my opinion was offensive.

I happen to agree that it is a scheme. As a retired lawyer, I view it as a GM attempted end run around the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. There is an implication that if you do not use a licensed oil in your newish GM vehicle, you risk denial of warranty. So instead of forcing you to buy their oil, on which they make a profit, they get you to buy a licensed oil, and they make a profit on all licensee's sales.

I am curious if the lists disappeared for some legal reason. But first, I needed to be sure they disappeared, or I just wasn't looking in the right place.

Oh, it disappeared alright. I think you were probably looking for it in the right place. Here is the link directly from GM for their list of dexos oils.

http://tis2web.akamai.gm.com/owner/brands/index.html

Click on either the dexos1 or dexos2 logo and you will see it goes to the Center for Quality Assurance, but that page says THIS LINK IS DEACTIVATED

Apparently not only is it a licensing schema but it is now become a non-transparent licensing scheme.

Give them time, maybe. It might be like other proprietary specs where they intend on having the list on their own website (rather than it being contracted out as seemed to be the case before), or they may choose not to publish it. Has anyone asked GM directly? Personally, I'm not terribly concerned, as I do look at datasheets and bottles, and it's not like dexos1 oils are hard to find, big logo and ubiquitous spec, compared to say Ford's spec for the diesel, where the list is definitely helpful.

It was better to see one updated list. It would be a better idea just to have GM go to ISLAC and input performance requirements rather then this DEXOS 'requirement". From the beginning it seemed like a money grab by GM.

There is an implication that if you do not use a licensed oil in your newish GM vehicle, you risk denial of warranty.

I'm not a retired lawyer, but I found this on their website. It looks pretty explicit to me:

Originally Posted by "Center for QA's crappy website"
Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.
(emphasis mine)

Originally Posted by wdn
Oh, it disappeared alright. I think you were probably looking for it in the right place. Here is the link directly from GM for their list of dexos oils.

http://tis2web.akamai.gm.com/owner/brands/index.html

Click on either the dexos1 or dexos2 logo and you will see it goes to the Center for Quality Assurance, but that page says THIS LINK IS DEACTIVATED

Apparently not only is it a licensing schema but it is now become a non-transparent licensing scheme.

Dead links and non-secure websites looks unseemly for a company the size of GM. Kind of like when QT gas drops from the TopTier list from time to time, that always looked like someone forgot to send in the check. This looks like Mary Barra told one of her kids to go maintain the web page and he screwed up.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
There is an implication that if you do not use a licensed oil in your newish GM vehicle, you risk denial of warranty.

I'm not a retired lawyer, but I found this on their website. It looks pretty explicit to me:

Originally Posted by "Center for QA's crappy website"
Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.
(emphasis mine)

From from explicit. That wording is full of loopholes "may", "therefore", "may result", and "could".

Originally Posted by LMG1
The list of dexos licensed brands can now be viewed HERE.

Eh? Im surprised it says Castrol Edge 0w40 & 5w40 Dexos 2 licensed when Castrol says they arent.

There are different Castrol varieties, and that's causing the confusion. A Castrol dexos2 40 is not the same as a Castrol A3/B4 40. Note that there are four varieties, right off the top of my head, of Castrol Edge 5w-30, in the same vein, including gold bottle 5w-30 SN/GF-5, black bottle 5w-30 SN/GF-5, dexos2/C3 5w-30, and A3/B4 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back